Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

udev start job won't start & swap

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
SamTzu

udev start job won't start & swap

#1 Post by SamTzu »

It seems udev start job won't start if there is something wrong with swap.
I have run in to this several times now. Something corrupts the swap (probably a bug in Apache web-server or PHP) - system slows down and debian udev wont start properly on next reboot.
I have to manually comment out the swap UUID from fstab in recovery mode - reboot and create a new swap - then do swapon to use that until I have fixed the old one.

Any idea what is going on?
Why does the swap get corrupted every couple of months?
Why can't udev handle swap corruption?

If you are a noob this is basically a deal-braker.

Sam

bw123

Re: udev start job won't start & swap

#2 Post by bw123 »

Someone might be able to answer the questions, but you didn't include what debian version, kernel, swap configuration, Apache ver or any other information, like the actual error message you are seeing?
SamTzu wrote: If you are a noob this is basically a deal-braker.
Sam, comeon work with us here. Describing yourself as a noob is strange when you been on here since 2012? What's the deal?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

dryden

#3 Post by dryden »

And has 8 posts, compared to your 2730 ;-).

Systemd is just not reliable, period.

I don't know if fixing it individually is not more work then fixing it manually every few months.

Maybe you can set swap to "nofail" so at least your system will boot and write a startup script that will swapon the swap and if it fails, redo "mkswap".

Also, if you use an encrypted swap (I mean directly encrypted on its own) one of the benefits is that your swap will be recreated every time.

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

^ another zealot :roll:
SamTzu wrote:Something corrupts the swap (probably a bug in Apache web-server or PHP) -
Why does the swap get corrupted every couple of months?
you should probably investigate that.
for now we only have your word that swap actually is corrupt.
please do some troubleshooting, some searching, and come back with real commands & output, and a better problem description altogether.
i also wouldn't rule out the possibility that udev can be told to behave differently in these situations.

fwiw, i dropped apache for nginx on my small server because it's overkill.