Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

High core CPU load

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
korky

High core CPU load

#1 Post by korky »

Hi, I have a performance issue with Debian 10, after startup there is a process which consumes one whole cpu core. After a few minutes it rotates from one core to another. Program, which causes this situation is called "ipconfig", which sounds suspicious, because I have not installed this program and also it is not in the directory where process points to (see code). I can kill it without any problem, but when I restart machine, it is there again causing high load and noisy fan. After viewing process tree, I found out, it was started by dropbear, also there is some issue with dropbear (see code).

Code: Select all

root@thinkpadl460:/home/juraj# sudo ls -l /proc/183/exe
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 feb  2 21:58 /proc/183/exe -> '/bin/ipconfig (deleted)'

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND  
183 root      20   0     392      4      0 R 100,0  0,0  18:24.00 ipconfig

Feb  2 21:22:02 THINKPADL460 dropbear[758]: Starting Dropbear SSH server: [abort] NO_START is not set to zero in /etc/default/dropbear
Feb  2 21:22:02 THINKPADL460 systemd[1]: Started LSB: Lightweight SSH server.

bw123

Re: High core CPU load

#2 Post by bw123 »

korky wrote: ...Program, which causes this situation is called "ipconfig", which sounds suspicious, because I have not installed this program...
That is odd, if you didn't install it then who could have done it?
korky wrote: root@thinkpadl460:/home/juraj# sudo ls -l /proc/183/exe
? sudo when you are root isn't necessary. Be careful poking around in /proc

If you tell people what you have installed out-of repo on your buster/testing system it might help with a good answer. There's no time to play guessing games, just tell people what you did and someone will help you fix it.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Wheelerof4te

#3 Post by Wheelerof4te »

cat /etc/apt/sourcesl.list
cat /etc/network/interfaces
inxi -F
Type these commands in your terminal and post output in code brackets. inxi needs to be installed first

apt install inxi
Always provide hardware info when troubleshooting problems on forums.

dotlj

#4 Post by dotlj »

Are you running Debian 10 in a vm on Windows, or are you running it on bare hardware?
Isn't ipconfig a Windows command? I can't find it in Debian repositories.
As bw123 said, "just tell people what you did and someone will help you fix it."

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Wine has an ipconfig.exe program. There's also a Linux executable as part of klibc-utils: /usr/lib/klibc/bin/ipconfig, but you would have to run that explicitly. Possibly the dropbear install script put the file in /bin, though.

Did you install dropbear for any reason?
MX Linux packager and developer

Thorny

#6 Post by Thorny »

korky wrote:Hi, I have a performance issue with Debian 10, ...
Being pedantic, because I am. You are not running Debian 10, you are running Debian testing, what will become Debian 10, when it is released. The testing version is for users to test and file bug reports so that Buster can be released, when it is ready. People can easily understand what you mean but strictly speaking, it isn't correct.