Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

warning for low battery

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
debutano

warning for low battery

#1 Post by debutano »

Any package which will pop-up a window to warn of low-battery level? I am using gkrellm to monitor my system. It does not seem to have this feature.

bw123

Re: warning for low battery

#2 Post by bw123 »

If all you want is a popup, then gkrellm should be able to take care of running a dialog/osd app for you. If you like things text then try whiptail.

gkrellm man page will surely have the info you need, though I haven't used it in a long time.

Using apt search and apt show is the way to go if you like to rough it. I use aptitude to look at descriptions of packages, but there are a lot of ways to find software.

Some possible searches:

Code: Select all

apt search dialog
apt search osd
apt search battery alert
apt search power monitor
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Thorny

#3 Post by Thorny »

debutano wrote:Any package which will pop-up a window to warn of low-battery level? I am using gkrellm to monitor my system. It does not seem to have this feature.
Isn't this possibly a feature of the Desktop Enviroment you are using? Which, by the way, you didn't mention.

With gkrellm, are you at least seeing the battery condition? In other words, do you have it enabled?

If so, on the setup tab for the gkrellm battery monitor do you have the Alerts configured the way you want them and the Alerts enabled?

debutano

#4 Post by debutano »

Using gkrellm with KDE. How to set the level to raise alarm? two screenshots.

Now, how do I insert a screenshot saved in my Picture dir?

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Thorny

#6 Post by Thorny »

debutano wrote:Using gkrellm with KDE. How to set the level to raise alarm?
So, once again I ask, on the setup tab for the gkrellm battery monitor do you have the Alerts configured the way you want them and the Alerts enabled?
By Alerts enabled I mean the checkbox checked.

debutano

#7 Post by debutano »

Thorny wrote:
debutano wrote:Using gkrellm with KDE. How to set the level to raise alarm?
So, once again I ask, on the setup tab for the gkrellm battery monitor do you have the Alerts configured the way you want them and the Alerts enabled?
By Alerts enabled I mean the checkbox checked.
I have enabled Alert via the checkbox. That's easy. But how to configure for the alarm to be triggered at say, 10% battery level? It's not in the manual.

Thorny

#8 Post by Thorny »

debutano wrote:I have enabled Alert via the checkbox. That's easy. But how to configure for the alarm to be triggered at say, 10% battery level? It's not in the manual.
See that button on the setup tab for the battery monitor? The one with a circle with an "A" in it that also has "Alerts" on it? It is to the left of the checkbox that enables. Click that.

Gkrellm may not be the best choice for you. I am not familiar with KDE, but there are other users here who might be. I expect that there would be something somewhere in the KDE power settings that could do what you want.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by Hallvor »

debutano wrote:Any package which will pop-up a window to warn of low-battery level? I am using gkrellm to monitor my system. It does not seem to have this feature.
Why not just use the default one for KDE? It should be in System settings --> Powersaving --> Advanced. (Or something like that. I use a localized version.) You can make any popup notification you want there.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Thorny

#10 Post by Thorny »

See debutano, I knew there would be a KDE user here somewhere.

debutano

#11 Post by debutano »

Thorny wrote:
debutano wrote:I have enabled Alert via the checkbox. That's easy. But how to configure for the alarm to be triggered at say, 10% battery level? It's not in the manual.
See that button on the setup tab for the battery monitor? The one with a circle with an "A" in it that also has "Alerts" on it? It is to the left of the checkbox that enables. Click that.

Gkrellm may not be the best choice for you. I am not familiar with KDE, but there are other users here who might be. I expect that there would be something somewhere in the KDE power settings that could do what you want.
Thanks. Did not realise that that circled "A" and "Alert" was a button.

debutano

#12 Post by debutano »

Hallvor wrote:
Why not just use the default one for KDE? It should be in System settings --> Powersaving --> Advanced. (Or something like that. I use a localized version.) You can make any popup notification you want there.
No Powersaving in System Settings. Nothing for power management at all. In fact, system settings have been reduced in Stretch compared to Wheezy.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by Hallvor »

What is this, then? (Bottom middle icon.)

Running Stretch...

And here is where you select popup actions:

Try

Code: Select all

apt-get install libpowerdevilcore2 libpowerdevilui5 powerdevil powerdevil-data  
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

debutano

#14 Post by debutano »

Hallvor,

Thanks for the info. It is most helpful. After installing the packages, Power Management appears in System Settings. There are settings for AC Power, Battery and Low Battery and a varieties of time settings for each case.

Thanks esp. for including the images. A picture speaks a thousand words. As a side issue, I wish this forum can make it easy to include images directly in our messages.

Thorny

#15 Post by Thorny »

debutano wrote:Thanks esp. for including the images. A picture speaks a thousand words. As a side issue, I wish this forum can make it easy to include images directly in our messages.
Well, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

This forum has no interest in making it easy to include images. Images take up server space which is limited and someone is paying for it. You got your help for free. Some of us have low bandwidth caps on our Internet connection, thus we don't want to download more than we have to in order to be able to try and help people. For example, if I go over my monthly bandwidth cap, it is expensive and us volunteers do this for free.

If you must present an image, there are ways to include one by including a thumbnail image (a small image) that is a link to your original image stored somewhere else. Garry gave you a link that explains how to post images if you really need to but in most cases it isn't necessary.

In addition, when someone trying to help asks you for more information, they should not have to ask the same question twice in order to try and help you as I did in this thread. Some helpers would have just moved on and not tried to help you any further, I did not.

I hope this doesn't sound harsh, I don't mean it to, I just want to give advice to help you with your further questions, as you will likely have more.

On the forums we do have some expectations of you, please read this post from a forum administrator.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=47078

GarryRicketson

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

Nice, ... Please read this:
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
12. Summary
The following might get your post EDITED:
- Profanities
- Links to inappropriate websites

The following might get your post/ thread LOCKED
- Flaming/ personal attacks
- Obvious trolling
- Thread has wandered way off topic
- Cross posting
debutano »Thorny,---- snip---the post was removed before you could read it.This time you should get it.
The post was removed by a moderator, for a reason, don't you get it ?
We don't need or want this kind of junk on the board.
=== edited: The post I am referring to was removed, for the 2nd time, by another mod ===

As far as this:
by debutano » I wish this forum can make it easy to include images directly in our messages.
It is easy, simply upload your image to your favourite storage site, and copy / paste the image link directly into your post. I gave you a link to instructions, obviously you did not read them. Or you just "don't get it"
✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬Image✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬✬
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2018-02-13 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Thorny

[OT]Re: warning for low battery

#17 Post by Thorny »

[OT]
GarryRicketson wrote: The post was removed by a moderator, for a reason, don't you get it ?
If you have a personal problem with Thorny, or any one else, send them
a PM. We don't need or want this kind of junk on the board.
Good grief Garry, did you read the post?

I neither want nor need to be PM'd with a stream of invective and don't appreciate you suggesting to PM me as I don't read PMs from anyone but friends and Admins.

I notice that you didn't suggest the OP PM the moderator who was also attacked in the post, eh?

I read the post and chose to not respond to it, for obvious reasons.

GarryRicketson

#18 Post by GarryRicketson »

Good grief Garry, did you read the post?
Actually, no I had not seen the first one, just the second,... your choosing to ignore it was a good decision. Probably I should have done the same.Also, sorry about that , on the PM , I will edit it (my post)
accordingly. Of course, nobody wants to receive hostile PM messages either.
There is a report option, in the PM's as well though, and any unwanted PM can be reported, as well. And if need be the problematic sender delt with,
Sorry about that.

Thorny

#19 Post by Thorny »

GarryRicketson wrote: Sorry about that.
Accepted.