Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Huawei Mobile Partner

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
debutano

Huawei Mobile Partner

#1 Post by debutano »

I want to use my laptop as phone, with a USB modem and a SIM. Huawei Mobile Partner can do it. I have read about it's insecurity here and in other forums. But Windows and MacOS are using it. It seems to be the only one which can support voice, sms and data.
I have tried wammu and gammu. They don't support voice.
Any Debian package as good as Mobile Partner?

Thorny

Re: Huawei Mobile Partner

#2 Post by Thorny »

debutano wrote:Any Debian package as good as Mobile Partner?
When I plug your question into a search engine I come up with this. I have no experience with it to judge how good it is. Or if it now supports voice.
https://www.unixmen.com/modem-manager-g ... sb-modems/

It is almost always worth your time to try a search for any question you have. Usually the question has been asked previously or at least there are things you can try.

debutano

#3 Post by debutano »

It is always worth your while to weigh your answer to other's question. How could i not have come across this in my on search on Huawei Mobile Partner?

Can't you see that voice or phone call is sorely missing in modemmanager?

Thorny

#4 Post by Thorny »

debutano wrote:Can't you see that voice or phone call is sorely missing in modemmanager?
Thorny wrote: I have no experience with it to judge how good it is. Or if it now supports voice.
I thought I was being clear. So, use what you have found.

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

a) as with most things gnu/linux, if there's no dedicated software, doesn't mean it's not possible. maybe you can find a nice tutorial. have you searched?

b) the world seems to have moved on to internet calls, so that's another reason why a dedicated software (or any effort in that direction) might not exist.

dotlj

#6 Post by dotlj »

debiman wrote:a) as with most things gnu/linux, if there's no dedicated software, doesn't mean it's not possible. maybe you can find a nice tutorial. have you searched?

b) the world seems to have moved on to internet calls, so that's another reason why a dedicated software (or any effort in that direction) might not exist.
Yes, I think most people either use a phone OR applications such as Wire for making free calls and older apps like Skype for low cost calls to phone numbers anywhere in the world OR all of them.
The idea of plugging a SIM card into a computer to make a phone call is unnecessary when a phone is much smaller, more portable and so on.

When overseas, I do use a 4G SIM in a TP-Link mobile Wi-Fi which allows up to ten connections (enough for my small family) and much cheaper than alternatives. Not wanting to being become part of anyone's botnet, I have changed the default username and password to something generated with KeePassX. :wink:

debutano

#7 Post by debutano »

dotlj wrote:
debiman wrote:a) as with most things gnu/linux, if there's no dedicated software, doesn't mean it's not possible. maybe you can find a nice tutorial. have you searched?

Yes, I think most people either use a phone OR applications such as Wire for making free calls and older apps like Skype for low cost calls to phone numbers anywhere in the world OR all of them.
The idea of plugging a SIM card into a computer to make a phone call is unnecessary when a phone is much smaller, more portable and so on.

When overseas, I do use a 4G SIM in a TP-Link mobile Wi-Fi which allows up to ten connections (enough for my small family) and much cheaper than alternatives. Not wanting to being become part of anyone's botnet, I have changed the default username and password to something generated with KeePassX. :wink:

The points you raised are questionable.

1. A phone call is still required for official matters.

2. Phone companies and ISP now have SIM-only service. They will provide you with a SIM which can handle voice, sms and data.
One SIM for both PC and phone saves money. When I am using the SIM on my PC for data at home or in the office, I can still be contacted via phone call. When I go out, I swap the SIM to my phone. In this way, I only need one SIM.

Thorny

#8 Post by Thorny »

If you wanted to leave the SIM card in your phone you might choose to install the AirDroid app, or another similar app. With it you could send messages, make a phone call, transfer files and many other things, from your computer.

But I don't know how you feel about installing more apps.