Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Screensaver? Solved, THX!

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Thorny

Re: Screensaver?

#16 Post by Thorny »

In that case, you could consider a Debian derivative distro that would come as an "out of the box" solution, can be run as live from from a DVD so you can see it before installing and it has lots of good configuration utilities that are graphical user interface so you won't have to do much command line in the terminal. MX Linux. At least one of their developers contributes a lot here and they have a good help forum. I'm fairly sure MX16 will run on a D600 and the newer MX17 might too. It's probably worth your time to try it.

[edit] Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if my D600 had a DVD or only a CD, but it could boot from a stick.

[edit2] I realised I should mention, pick the 386 version of MX if you try it.

jppattison

Re: Screensaver?

#17 Post by jppattison »

@ Thorny --- I've already got antiX on my brewroom laptop, just haven't messed around with it too much yet. I'm not going to switch to another distro on this laptop - I want Debian on my main laptop, becuz it gives me the opportunity to learn more about Debian itself and the command line.

I guess I'm bugging some of you gurus with too many questions OR stupid questions, so I'll just try to avoid bugging as much as possible. I remember a few years back that the Debian forums had a bad rep .... if you asked a newbie question, you got "RTFM!!!" and that was when I was using Mepis and came here to ask a CLI question .... didn't come back because of the rudeness - I went to LQ and got an answer right away - they didn't mind helping out newbies back then .... I don't know what it's like there now, so I can't say what would happen nowadays.

I would think that the users here would be proud to help others along (like pawroot, and HOAS did on another thread), rather than encourage someone to dump Debian for another distro, - seems strange to me. I think I'll just lurk and ghost for a while, maybe a comment here or there, becuz I've got this set up pretty much the way I want it now. Now I can take the time to set up the antiX on the D610, and then I can play around on the "Testing" on that old D600.

Sorry if I've been a bother, if you don't want to answer one of my questions, you can always ignore me if it bothers you too much, it won't make a hill of beans to me, becuz I won't even know that you ignored me, right?. I'll learn one way or t'other. Thanks for all the help I've been given by the users here.

Thorny

Re: Screensaver? Solved, THX!

#18 Post by Thorny »

I did not suggest either that you were a "bother" or that you asked too many questions. I was responding to what appeared to me as your struggle. The derivative that I suggested is essentially Debian made easier because it would work for you from the moment of install or as a live system and then you would be free to learn things at a pace that would not be a struggle.

I don't think you should judge Debian User Forums by your previous experience or let that experience cloud your thinking. Vary rarely does anyone get RTFM here these days whether they deserve it or not.

I was actually trying to help make things easier for you, sorry I wasn't able to help.