Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED - New Tab Add-On Requires Firefox 58

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Caitlin

SOLVED - New Tab Add-On Requires Firefox 58

#1 Post by Caitlin »

I just changed my version of Debian from 9.0.0 to 9.3.0, but when I went to install the ever-so-useful New Tab Override add on, it said I need to have at least Firefox 58 (FF 52 came with the software change). Apparently, this add-on was rewritten to work ONLY with the latest and greatest Firefox, leaving users of older versions up **** creek.

I hate the idea of HAVING to upgrade; what if I don't like the new look and feel? (I want to access the web, I'm not here to have an experience.)

Anyway, the way I see it I have four ways to go:

(1) see if I can find another add-on (or an older version of this add-on) that does what I want and will work with Firefox 52,

(2) Install Firefox 58 into ~ and later try to move into /opt or somewhere where it can be accessed from ANY user account (I already downloaded the tarball, and no, I don't care about automatic upgrades),

(3) Try to install it directly into /opt or somewhere, or

(4) Do without it and click on the stupid looking house each time I open a new tab.

One concern is that I would lose access to Firefox through the Applications menu and have to run a script each time.

Also, the installation directions don't look all that simple.

What should I do?

Caitlin
Last edited by Caitlin on 2018-02-12 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

Thorny

Re: New Tab Add-On Requires Firefox 58

#2 Post by Thorny »

Caitlin,

I'm fairly sure someone discussed installing firefox 58 in /opt here on the forum in the last few days. I don't have a bookmark for it.

However, I expect if you expand the tarball you have into /opt, you could change permissions on the resulting Firefox folder and allow other users to use it and even allow one or all to upgrade it. I do recommend you keep it upgraded, browsers can be problematic.

I don't see why you need a script, you could probably setup a link to the firefox executable in the Firefox folder in /opt.

If you try and then post details of anything you can't get to work, I expect someone here would try to help you sort it out. You know, good details not vague descriptions.

I'm not sure about the house you mention but perhaps there is something in edit preferences on firefox-esr.

But don't take my word for it, wait until someone looks over my post for possible mistakes or inaccuracies and advises you. I haven't done what you want to do.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Usually you can find older versions of the add-on out there on the Net. You're lucky, many of my favorite add-ons still have not been upgraded to work with Quantum, so you find many of your favorites have also gone away with 58.
MX Linux packager and developer

Caitlin

#4 Post by Caitlin »

I'm going with choice (1).

@Thorny: the house is to the right of the search bar, next to the down-arrow (unless in your version of Firefox it's in a different place). Clicking on it gets you to your designated home page, which is what I want when I open a new tab.

@Steve: finding older versions on and downloading them from the web sounds just like what I want. (But I haven't a clue on how to do so; I've only installed add-ons using the Add-Ons Manager. Can you tell me how to do this or give me a link that explains it?)

Caitlin

Caitlin

#5 Post by Caitlin »

NEVER MIND! I found a different add-on, New Tab Homepage, that does exactly what I want. And it doesn't force me to upgrade.

Thanks to you both.

Caitlin