Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dependency and Autoremove Issues

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dependency and Autoremove Issues

#16 Post by sunrat »

The actual term is "metapackages".

I'm still curious how installing transmission pulled in 47 packages. I just ran simulated install and got 6 packages. A look at /var/log/apt/history.log would be illuminating.

Code: Select all

$ apt install -s transmission
NOTE: This is only a simulation!
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libminiupnpc10 libnatpmp1 minissdpd transmission transmission-common transmission-gtk
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Wheelerof4te

#17 Post by Wheelerof4te »

transmission is a meta-package. It is there to make installation of Transmission torrent client easier, by pulling all needed dependencies. Same with gnome meta-package, libreoffice meta-package etc.
Sometimes pulled packages can be used by other programs, so they stay. Example, removing gnome meta-package will just remove that and few other packages. It won't wipe out GNOME DE.
Note that transmission clent doesn't need 47 packages in GNOME.

Wheelerof4te

#18 Post by Wheelerof4te »

If that was some kind of virus page, let us pray for your well being.
DONT. DO. THAT.
corbett wrote:check more about it to click here

Caitlin

#19 Post by Caitlin »

Every time you install a package by name, up to hundreds of other packages gets installed with it.

When a package is developed, the programmer builds it, generally, with the latest and greatest versions of the libraries. This means even if you have all the libraries already on your system, they will automatically be upgraded when the package you chose is installed, even if it would have worked with the versions you already had.

Another problem is when one package draws on some functionality from something else, and that something else is stated specifically rather than generically. I may have the details wrong, but somewhere deep in KWrite a beep is generated if something goes wrong, and to produce that beep means the entire VLC music system has to be installed also, along with phonon, which VLC needs. The programmer liked VLC, so everybody's going to have VLC whether they want it or not.

Still another problem is recommended packages -- where one package is enhanced by some other package being there, even though that other package is not strictly required. This one is easy to fix; I specify --no-install-recommends with every apt-get.

If you try to get rid of this "crapware", as I call it, it then wants to deinstall the package you originally wanted. This is a problem, and is one of the major headaches of the apt system design.

You can de-install single packages with dpkg -force-depends but this really isn't a solution. If anybody has any suggestions as how to best remove crapware, let me know.

The bottom line is that those 1400 packages can't be uninstalled because they are considered to be installed and in use in your system.

Caitlin

Head_on_a_Stick

#20 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@Caitlin, have you considered Slackware? :mrgreen:
deadbang

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#21 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Post by sunrat »

@Caitlin - It would be interesting to see what packages were installed with transmission. Please open /var/log/apt/history.log and copy/paste ( in code tags) the section where you installed transmission.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

HuangLao

#23 Post by HuangLao »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:@Caitlin, have you considered Slackware? :mrgreen:
LMAO...If its the Caitlin that I think it is, that ship sailed a long time ago for her.