Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Skype audio not working on Debian 9 (Stretch)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
debiancoder

Skype audio not working on Debian 9 (Stretch)

#1 Post by debiancoder »

I have pulseaudio and pavucontrol properly installed. All other softwares has audio (Spotify, Chromium Browser, Dosbox etc).

Skype appears on pavucontrol applications playback list when I click the audio test button at the audio/video settings but the audio is still not working, even when I setup Skype audio to be not muted and 100% volume.

I try to install libpulse0:i386 and reboot the OS. This does not worked as well.

Is anyone facing the same problem?

Wheelerof4te

Re: Skype audio not working on Debian 9 (Stretch)

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Microsoft is targeting Ubuntu for Skype. And with new snap package for Ubuntu, expect .deb file support to slowly die. Not surprising, it's M$.
Try to find alternatives, Viber being one of the best popular solutions. You will need libssl1.0 from Jessie for it, though.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Yes, skype is fucked.

Over the last 4 versions available, audio issues include no ringing, no voice in one direction, everyone sounds like daleks, and in the latest, no sound at all (which is actually an improvement).
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

makh

#4 Post by makh »

Hi

this works, for now:
1. setup ubuntu chroot
2. install skype
3. run via schroot

hope this helps.
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Try installing Skype via flatpak instead.

ticojohn

#6 Post by ticojohn »

This doesn't help the OP, but I've been using Skype (64 bit) on Debian 9.3 for several months. Never had problems. I would imagine that the issue is properly setting up pulseaudio. In my experience pulseaudio can be quirky at times but once set up properly it works fine. The biggest issue I had was making sure that the output device, input device, and playback were all set correctly.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.