Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Listing data in a keyring.

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
debianneedstuning

Listing data in a keyring.

#1 Post by debianneedstuning »

Is there a way of listing data in a keyring?
I need to recover data sucked out of firefox into a keyring.

Long story; I usually keep paper copies of all logins and details that i've ever used, which has proven very handy on the old hard disk shatter/etc. But as I've got ~800 aliases in the mail list, tha task get a bit onourous and things being what they are a times the record keeping slips. So having the browser keep logons for various forums and online suppliers is very handy.

Jump forward to upgrading the stretch and my newsreader "pan" suddenly starts demanding a password, which I eventually realise is that it just wants my login password again. It os bad enough tha the fonts, layout and operation has changed, but this is plain annoying. so I install the gnome keyring as it keeps mentioning it. Not sure what else.

The next time I go to use the browser to login, NOTHING is in the login/password file. so to avoid at least a one day delay as I play "lost password" at every forum, mailling and online supplier.

So, I'm hoping there is someway of dumping to text a keyring.

rayandrews

Re: Listing data in a keyring.

#2 Post by rayandrews »

Good luck. I remember back in DOS when virtually everything was kept in plain text files. Now almost nothing is.

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

I need to recover data sucked out of firefox into a keyring.
I haven't used gnome keyring, are you sure it does this? Have you read the documentation on how to manage the passwords?
so I install the gnome keyring as it keeps mentioning it. Not sure what else.
Well, if you aren't sure, then nobody else will know either, was it this?

xul-ext-gnome-keyring/stable 0.12-1 all
Store mozilla passwords in GNOME Keyring
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

debianneedstuning, i think your understanding of the problem is flawed.
do not try to interprete anything, just show us the problem as it presents itself.
commands issued, output received etc.

fwiw,
0) it makes a lot of sense to NOT store passwords in plain text
1) firefox' stored passwords can be viewed through firefox' ui
2) use a password manager (i use keepassx)

mike acker

#5 Post by mike acker »

debiman wrote:debianneedstuning, i think your understanding of the problem is flawed.
do not try to interprete anything, just show us the problem as it presents itself.
commands issued, output received etc.

fwiw,
0) it makes a lot of sense to NOT store passwords in plain text
1) firefox' stored passwords can be viewed through firefox' ui
2) use a password manager (i use keepassx)
+1

I'm a keepassx user as well: recommended. as a further note: I keep my keepassx database in Dropbox in a non-shared folder. that was I can get to it from any of several systems,--
Viva la Resistencia

debianneedstuning

#6 Post by debianneedstuning »

I am not trying to store anything in a text file for use.
I want to recover the user/password information that was stored in firefox, but has now disappeared.
To solve another problem, the solution was upgrade to Stretch.
As a consequence of the Stretch upgrade, Pan(gnome nntp reader) invoked some gnome keyring function. It was WTH at first as I kept getting asked for password and it took a while to work out that it was aking for user password again and again and again.
To "solve" that nuisance, I tried installing gnome keyring which turned out to be a bad idea as it sucked(?)/removed(?) all the user/password combos from firefox.

Consequently, site(web/forum/etc) movement is now glacial as I have to labouriously recover/re construct each user/password combo.

Hence, I asked if there was some easy way of extracting the contents of a gnome keyring, so I am saved all this work and maybe total loss of access to some sites.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

debianneedstuning wrote:I want to recover the user/password information that was stored in firefox, but has now disappeared.
go to your ~./mozilla/firefox/*.default folder and find one or more files called key*.db. that's where your passwords are.
I tried installing gnome keyring which turned out to be a bad idea as it sucked(?)/removed(?) all the user/password combos from firefox.
as i said before, this just doesn't make sense at all.
no gnome software has any business changing any files in your firefox folders.

are you saying you cannot access your passwords because it wants you to enter some sort of master password?

have you actually tried looking at firefox' stored passwords through its UI preferences?