apt command to list new packages?

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

apt command to list new packages?

Postby leech » 2018-03-04 18:01

So I have been using Debian for about a lifetime now, yet I have never been able to figure out how Synaptic is listing newly added packes. I tend to run either testing or unstable on my desktop systems, and am always curious about new packages entering the repository, but from what I have seen, Synaptic is the only frontend that shows this. Is there something I can pass to the apt command line?

Main reason I am asking is that it seems Synaptic is eventually going to be deprecated. By this I mean that it 1) doesn't work on Wayland, due to its security model (though I bet this could be fixed with some work), and 2) after all this time, it still hasn't gotten the ability to understand Multi-arch support.

Software center is a rather dumbed down package management system, but does seem to work fairly well with Flatpak.

Thanks for any help!
leech

Re: apt command to list new packages?

Postby MALsPa » 2018-03-04 21:42

I don't have a good answer for you, but I saw this in man aptitude:

for instance, "aptitude search '~N'" will list all "new" packages.
MALsPa

Postby emariz » 2018-03-05 12:17

Use Aptitude's graphic interface. Among its numerous benefits for managing a system, it lists new packages.

Note that the 'novelty' of packages is relative to the repository cache, and not necessarily to Debian's development. This is, if one deletes the repository cache [1] today, all not-installed packages will be listed as new, regardless of when they entered Debian Testing/Unstable.

1. /var/lib/apt/lists/*
emariz

Postby arochester » 2018-03-05 13:03

For some reason, in my Terminal,
Code: Select all
aptitude search '~N'
produces no result, while this does
Code: Select all
aptitude search '~N' / aptitude forget-new
List packages that were recently added to one of the installation sources, i.e. which are new to it. aptitude search '~N' / aptitude forget-new
Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta
arochester

Postby leech » 2018-03-05 15:41

I'm going to hazard a guess that just using aptitude search '~N' is going to show everything until you do forget-new? Because mine certainly did! Though I don't ever use aptitude, even though I know I probably should.
leech

Return to General Questions