Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

apt command to list new packages?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
leech

apt command to list new packages?

#1 Post by leech »

So I have been using Debian for about a lifetime now, yet I have never been able to figure out how Synaptic is listing newly added packes. I tend to run either testing or unstable on my desktop systems, and am always curious about new packages entering the repository, but from what I have seen, Synaptic is the only frontend that shows this. Is there something I can pass to the apt command line?

Main reason I am asking is that it seems Synaptic is eventually going to be deprecated. By this I mean that it 1) doesn't work on Wayland, due to its security model (though I bet this could be fixed with some work), and 2) after all this time, it still hasn't gotten the ability to understand Multi-arch support.

Software center is a rather dumbed down package management system, but does seem to work fairly well with Flatpak.

Thanks for any help!

MALsPa

Re: apt command to list new packages?

#2 Post by MALsPa »

I don't have a good answer for you, but I saw this in man aptitude:
for instance, "aptitude search '~N'" will list all "new" packages.

emariz

#3 Post by emariz »

Use Aptitude's graphic interface. Among its numerous benefits for managing a system, it lists new packages.

Note that the 'novelty' of packages is relative to the repository cache, and not necessarily to Debian's development. This is, if one deletes the repository cache [1] today, all not-installed packages will be listed as new, regardless of when they entered Debian Testing/Unstable.

1. /var/lib/apt/lists/*

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#4 Post by arochester »

For some reason, in my Terminal,

Code: Select all

aptitude search '~N'
produces no result, while this does

Code: Select all

aptitude search '~N' / aptitude forget-new
List packages that were recently added to one of the installation sources, i.e. which are new to it. aptitude search '~N' / aptitude forget-new
Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

leech

#5 Post by leech »

I'm going to hazard a guess that just using aptitude search '~N' is going to show everything until you do forget-new? Because mine certainly did! Though I don't ever use aptitude, even though I know I probably should.