traceroute in Stretch

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

traceroute in Stretch

Postby shakman » 2018-03-06 00:24

Running a live version off USB of Stretch.

Just wondering if traceroute is available by default on a normal Stretch install, because it's not on the live version. (It was on the Jesse Live version). And if not, why?
shakman

Re: traceroute in Stretch

Postby Bulkley » 2018-03-06 03:05

It's working on mine.
Bulkley

Postby shakman » 2018-03-06 05:38

Bulkley wrote:It's working on mine.

You're running a Live 9.3 Stretch?

And it has traceroute included?
shakman

Postby bw123 » 2018-03-06 10:35

shakman wrote:Running a live version off USB of Stretch.

Just wondering if traceroute is available by default on a normal Stretch install, because it's not on the live version. (It was on the Jesse Live version). And if not, why?

Not sure what you mean by a normal install? There are different implementations of traceroute, which would you expect to find available?

There are ways to find out what pkgs are on the different iso images.
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#search-for-package

For live image the best answer is probably this:
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#list-image-contents

It might not be on all of the stretch live-system isos because there were other pkgs that the team thought were more important? I guess one or other implementation could be included by one or more of the specific desktop environments, but I'm not sure how you could find out.
bw123

Postby shakman » 2018-03-06 18:23

bw123 wrote:
Not sure what you mean by a normal install? There are different implementations of traceroute, which would you expect to find available?

Just the standard /usr//bin/traceroute I guess. I was surprised it was not included in Stretch as I've always considered a "core" utiliity.

Interesting.

So looking through the *.list and *.packages for the different releases, they did indeed remove traceroute from the Live images starting with Stretch. I wonder what the reasoning was, if there is a newer utility which already includes the functionality, like ss and ip do for netstat.

One other question arose when looking at those lists. For "install" images (i.e., not live), when I look at the "iso-dvd" dir, I see for Stretch/amd64, three (3) DVDs. Yet when I look at the corresponding "list" dir, there are 14 (!) DVD lists.

Where are the other 11 DVD images to be found?
shakman

Return to General Questions