Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

traceroute in Stretch

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
shakman

traceroute in Stretch

#1 Post by shakman »

Running a live version off USB of Stretch.

Just wondering if traceroute is available by default on a normal Stretch install, because it's not on the live version. (It was on the Jesse Live version). And if not, why?

Bulkley

Re: traceroute in Stretch

#2 Post by Bulkley »

It's working on mine.

shakman

#3 Post by shakman »

Bulkley wrote:It's working on mine.
You're running a Live 9.3 Stretch?

And it has traceroute included?

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

shakman wrote:Running a live version off USB of Stretch.

Just wondering if traceroute is available by default on a normal Stretch install, because it's not on the live version. (It was on the Jesse Live version). And if not, why?
Not sure what you mean by a normal install? There are different implementations of traceroute, which would you expect to find available?

There are ways to find out what pkgs are on the different iso images.
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#search-for-package

For live image the best answer is probably this:
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#list-image-contents

It might not be on all of the stretch live-system isos because there were other pkgs that the team thought were more important? I guess one or other implementation could be included by one or more of the specific desktop environments, but I'm not sure how you could find out.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

shakman

#5 Post by shakman »

bw123 wrote:
Not sure what you mean by a normal install? There are different implementations of traceroute, which would you expect to find available?
Just the standard /usr//bin/traceroute I guess. I was surprised it was not included in Stretch as I've always considered a "core" utiliity.

Interesting.

So looking through the *.list and *.packages for the different releases, they did indeed remove traceroute from the Live images starting with Stretch. I wonder what the reasoning was, if there is a newer utility which already includes the functionality, like ss and ip do for netstat.

One other question arose when looking at those lists. For "install" images (i.e., not live), when I look at the "iso-dvd" dir, I see for Stretch/amd64, three (3) DVDs. Yet when I look at the corresponding "list" dir, there are 14 (!) DVD lists.

Where are the other 11 DVD images to be found?