Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Low-flow Toilets How (Not) To Install One

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
producer

Low-flow Toilets How (Not) To Install One

#1 Post by producer »

reason. For those who have old bathrooms, you're Likely utilizing out of 3 and a half gallons per flush. (Mine utilized about 4.5 gpf.) A contemporary low-flow version utilizes 1.28 gpf. For simplicity, let us say that the economy is just gpf. Evidently, the water used are the gallons per flush situations the amount of flushes times every day. Consequently, in case there are just ten flushes daily, 30 gallons will likely be stored per day --and 900 g per month, or 9,195 gallons per year.

For a Number of us, these amounts will create Dollar savings worth mentioning. Some--particularly those people that reside in regions whose water source is worried or in danger --might just want to do our bit to help preserve a precious resource. And for those worried about carbon footprint, all of that water has been pumped --along with the largest percentage of US power, almost half the total, is made by the many carbon intensive process --burning coal. (You can see more about this in this hyperlink.)

And there is another motive, also. Like some other Additional apparatus, bathrooms work out. This really is a good time to replace themas many places are providing subsidies to visit non flow components. In our instance we chose high efficiency components priced at $106. They qualify for 100 rebates(toiletword).

Thus, what's the job like? Not too awful. Let us go incremental.

That old bathroom's got to move... OK, that was awful.

Step one is removing the older bathroom. As Shown in the picture above, most bathrooms are 2-piece events, together using different tank and bowl. So you've got a selection of eliminating the bits individually or as a device. Many men and women prefer to eliminate the bits individually for ease of handling. But situations are distinct, along with a shelf component over and supporting our bathroom limits access into the interior of the tank. Since that is where the bolts holding bowl and tank collectively are, it made more sense in my scenario to eliminate both as a device --that means no images of this region of the procedure!

Fortunately, it is not Difficult to Work out How to Eliminate the tank. To begin with, switch off the water! (There is almost always a valve controlling the water source to the bathroom. It is possible to view a photograph of the ) Then flush the toilet to drain as much water as you possibly can. It's possible to bail out, or even soak up, the remaining part of the water from the tank if you prefer, or just set a container beneath the very first bolt you eliminate out of the tank--recognizing that you're have some cleansing of the ground to do.

After the bolts are removed, then disconnect the water line. The tank may then easily be raised off the bowl and put aside.

Old foundation, bolt with ornamental cap

Taking Away the bowl

Taking Away the bowlwith or without tank Attached--begins with taking away the cosmetic caps covering the bolts in the faces of the bowl base. The photograph above shows the boltwith the cap beside it. The covers disagree, but generally it is only a matter of pulling or prying it up. Maybe some might unscrew, although I have not struck anything that perform.

If you are blessed the nut will seem more or less Such as the one over --it is somewhat corroded, but maybe perhaps not too much in order to be suspended into the spool --rather than like the one under.

Bad bolt alternatives --and the best way to exemplify a Hubpage

That is a closeup of another bolt. The Glop about the right will be wax out of the container seal, however, the outstanding reality is that the nut has been corroded directly onto the spool. It simply is not likely to emerge.

(Incidentally, you would Have the Ability to see this considerably Better had I not picked to record this job using my phone camera. Certainly, a second-best option --or perhaps not even that great. Lesson learned. And sorry about this )
You've Got several choices for eliminating the Bolts in scenarios in this way, as revealed in the upcoming few photographs.

Tool of choice for eliminating old bolts

But we have already found that didn't Operate in my situation. In reality, the remaining portion of this nut were so corroded the socket could not grip them. Thus...

Next best instrument for eliminating old bolts

Like these, can securely grasp precisely what the wrench cannot. But that did not work , because the bolt and nut were firmly"at one" And there actually was not enough room to attempt and hold the spool end still using another pair of pliers. So, can I cut on the spool...?
Perhaps a Jigsaw will cut that bolt

Perhaps not having a jigsaw... the foundation meant that I Could not get the blade on the bolt.

Or Maybe that the Hacksaw can attain it better

The hacksaw can reach the spool, however I was not convinced there was sufficient clearance to reduce all of the way through. I didn't need to hurt the finish onto ceramic. Along with the nut actually got in the way, making advancements glacially slow. Thus...

Tool of final resort (but it is guaranteed to Operate )

Bear in Mind, the name of the page begins, I am not advocating utilization of a hammer, OK? Broken ceramic includes some very, badly sharp borders, and a individual can cut themselves really badly. (A busted casserole lid got me to get a visit to the ER and many stitches.)

It is exactly what I decided to perform. And I had been Really cautious cleaning those up sharp pieces of ceramic, in addition to tackling the older bathroom --Personally, I guess, provided that casserole lid incident lurking at the back part of my head.

Clean up instrument of choice

A vacuum is about the One Thing That will get All of the tiny shards. Additionally, it keeps them away from the fingers through the cleanup procedure, and this is a really excellent thing. Obviously, I began by popping up the bigger pieces... closely .

Now, I had a break. Having made 1 questionable option, it is important to not have the effects of the choice produce a cascade of additional bad decisions. I took a couple of minutes to wash my mind, allow the frustration distribute, and only consider the job in an unpressured type of a manner.

This is to state that handling one's disposition is Significant during any DIY job. Calm has become the main tool we've got.

A particularly powerful instrument

Looking back, I am wondering about this particular choice, too.

Dirty Floor/Clean Floors

Click on the thumbnail to View full size

Following is a before-and-after listing of the region. It is well worth mentioning the"prior to" set is not quite as dreadful as it may seem to be. The smudges are a chemical of rust, regular dirt, which tacky wax in the seal which I mentioned. It's not necessary to feel ashamed!

Over the tiles. Elderly flanges are alloy, that is the unfortunate habit of corroding. When the tile is put over the first flooring, the flange is quite inclined to be under tile degree. (Both have been true of another installment I did in our home.) More about this later(toiletszones).
Flange with brand new hardware

Nice fresh shiny bolts! One is set up already. The directions for our brand new unit did not make clear at which plastic washers were assumed to move, however, it seemed plausible for me they need to go between the metallic nut and the ceramic of the bottom of this bowl.

Inside & from the box

We picked that the Glacier Bay High Efficiency Toilet, a Home Depot residence manufacturer. It is very cheap and has obtained some good reviews. It works good so far--we will see how it holds up over time.

These photographs show the box onto a furniture dolly I utilized, accompanied by the materials unpacked. The dolly is a superb advantage --even a requirement for a few --because the said gross weight of this box is 95 lbs. Alternately, you can partly unpack the device to divide the pounds. (One reviewer said he did that at the shop parking lot!)

First and Extra Thick Seals

The photograph I despise the worst at this Page! However, I Thought it was essential to reveal seal choices. On the left side is that your provided seal; about the proper, an extra-thick seal it is possible to purchase separately. In case you've got one of these below-floor degree flanges, you are likely to require the thick . If above ground level, simply use the seal.

The bothersome thing is that unless you have Eliminated the old bathroom before visiting the shop, you do not know which you are likely to require. (The extra-thick seal moved straight back to the shop, in this circumstance.)

Mounting the bowl is still rather straightforward, And in the instance of our apparatus, the provided instructions were rather great. They suggest putting the seal onto the inverted bowl, then pushing and twisting lightly to stick the wax into the ceramic, then lowering bowl and seal together on the flange. (I had a photo of the, but it is entirely unusable.)

I needed to line up one bolt, then place a border of this Bowl and use 1 hand to direct the rest of the bolt through another hole. Then simply employ vinyl washermetal washer, and then the bolt. Follow this up with all the cosmetic cover, according to the instructions provided.

Bear in Mind that you actually, really do not want to Overtighten the metallic bolt. The subsequent picures, I believe, be sure what could happen if you're doing.

The older bathroom --do not allow it to be the brand new one!

1 additional trap ought to be cited here. The Instructions specifically advised me to ensure the flange bolts have been the appropriate length before performing the setup of the bowlotherwise the caps will not proceed.

I forgot about this part, because I had not Had an issue with bolt span on the very first bathroom I had done. Awful idea--although the first one'd experienced a minimal flange, the one had a top flange, which makes the bolts manner overly long. I needed to cut themin location or after eliminating the bowl .

I moved with cutting place, largely because I Was fearful of mangling the seal also poorly to reuse. I put me back together using the hacksaw, although it functioned with the brand bolt compared to the older. However, I did place modest scratches on the end, and also incur a slight ding on one .

Onto the tank setup. Beneath Are two pictures; one reveals the hardware, so resting on the base of the inverted tank; another reveals the tank inside, using the lever set. (I opted to set up the lever prior to lifting the tankbecause of the shelf unit blocking tank accessibility. Normally it is far much better to do it another way.)

This is one example where the directions Weren't so excellent. A fantastic piece of the hardware that you see is seemingly superfluous. Maybe a few --and here I am thinking mainly of the plastic piece on the link to your water inlet line--is supposed to protect parts during shipping.

I decided to not Attempt to use the aluminum alloy Washers as well as also the wing nuts you are able to see. They're flimsy anyway, rather than located on another installments I have dealt with. Thus far, nothing bad has ever come from this selection.

Additionally, I wondered a bit about the logic Of yanking that foam gasket within the threaded tank socket. Why thread some thing, then pay the threads? However, the directions were clear on this point, at least--and also the older bathroom had a comparable arrangement.
Tank installment

Tanks want water lines, correct?

Yepthey certainly do. Here are photographs --the Fantastic one is of this line, still set up about the 1/4-inch line in the wall. The crumby among its replacement, also a 12-inch PVC lineup. I had a replacement since the new bathroom is a 17-inch high-tech --those are increasingly frequent, as being arguably more comfortable to work with, and also more favorable for maturing knees--as well as the line was intended for the older standard of 15 inches.

However, it actually seemed like It was likely to be long anyhow. Another visit to the shop, damn it.

Attaching container to bowl

Reveals that the tank mounted onto the bowl and then tightened down. The purpose is that the container is level and even --and the bolts aren't over-tightened. You wish to move slowly and attentively while trimming the tank down bolts. (If you are unsure about the value of this stage, scroll up and consider the"old bathroom" pictures again.) You do need the attachment to become company, naturally --but no longer than that.
Water !

Together with all the tank along with water line Connected, you will turn on the water. It is a fantastic idea to test for leaks, especially at the water .

Somewhat uncharacteristically, I did not find any.

If you do not , like the second, then Proceed to check the water level in the tankour directions had processes for correcting this, but what was nice as it had been --and then attach and join the lever, even in case you have not done so before.

The one thing left to build is your chair.

Installing the chair

The directions were a little obscure at This point, but it's fairly self-evident what has to take place. In the instance of our apparatus, the rubbershould I call them ? Needed to go wherever they are shown by the photograph.

Chair installment is likely to differ broadly from Brand. For the matter, updating chairs is rather normal --you can purchase different replacements in a complete number of price points, even should you want.

All completed!

Satisfaction!

It took approximately four weeks, such as Alterations to this shelving unit I have said, and 2 trips to the shop. A professional might have completed it in 2, I am certain, and possibly in near one. However, in case you had not already realized it, then I am no genius. However, the price was correct, and that I have to share the experience with you, bumbles along with all.

Maybe I might have saved a couple of bumbles Had I discovered this website before I did that this setup:

Try it and allow me to know!

After 6 weeks of usage, these components have Performed well. Oh, there were a cases --probably fewer than a dozen--necessitating another flush. And after I needed to reconnect the string linking the flush lever into valve. Affordable hardware! --but likely fixed for great with an easy squeeze of these pliers. We are still quite happy!

Read more: The first good flushing toilet & best flushing toto toilets on the market 2017 2018 |How to choose them

Secondly Update

The components discussed continue to do OK in 2014, five decades following first installation. There have been some additional issues with all the chain/flush lever, and the chairs are still economical and also annoyingly needful of regular tightening. But we're still quite pleased with these components; observe that the setup of another Glacier Bay bathroom in our lake home!

This unit is stingier with waterusing Only 1.0 gallon per flush. It works excellent, and set up much as the past two. The directions continue to be bad, and there have been superfluous parts involved with the kit once more. The chair is top quality, however, clearly stronger. Who knows? Perhaps it will not need tightening so frequently.

In Any Event this Glacier Bay unit plays Nicely, saves water, and prices relatively little.
Last edited by producer on 2018-06-27 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

Re: Debian Stable box Failing to boot

#2 Post by debiman »

the messages do not seem to be related to each other - unless you installed debian to an external USB harddrive?

a little more info about your hardware, about how and what you installed.
a lot more info about the lock-up and hard-reboot.

wild guess: hard drive full??? disk dying of old age?

here's something you could try: https://askubuntu.com/questions/17647/t ... -sbin-init

mike acker

Re: Debian Stable box Failing to boot

#3 Post by mike acker »

producer wrote:Hi all,
I'm relatively new to Debian so please bear with me.
My Debian machine locked up yesterday and I was forced to do a hard-reboot.
Upon rebooting my machine, I was faced with the following error:

[1.976041] usb 6-3: device descriptor read/64, error -62
Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init.
/bin/sh: Can't access tty; job control turned off.

At this point I get stuck with a terminal window and if I try and run the command 'startx' I get the following:

Fatal server error: Could not create lock file in /tmp/.tX0-lock
Connection refused: unable to connect to X server
No such process (errno 3): Server error.
Error in locking authority file //.Xauthority

How can I fix this problem, any suggestions?
All help appreciated.
is this thing dual-booted with Windows ? my guess is that most likely a bad process wrote improperly to the disk. 2d guess is you have a hard drive failure comming up. is this a lap-top ?

load a live stick and mount the bad disk. run gparted and make sure you have at least 3 basic partitions on the bad drive:
1. root, mounted as /
2. swap
3. home mounted as /home

I've successfully re-installed an LMDE/2 system preserving the /home directory. When you run the installer take care to accept the existing partition as they are without reformatting them. you'll have to re-install all your software but when I did this on LMDE all my /home data was preserved -- even the Virtualbox and guest machine.

if you don't have a current backup for the data you have in /home I'd say best to get to it. you may be able to do it using your live stick or dvd. use an external hard drive to back up to .
Viva la Resistencia