Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED-for now] The ultimate package building laptop?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
stevepusser

Re: The ultimate compiling laptop?

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Actually, for package building just an integrated Intel GPU is fine, but I guess that's disabled from what I can see on the web page. :( Hey, later this year Intel will be shipping processors with integrated AMD GPUs instead of the Intel ones.

I don't know what the most powerful AMD laptop is, but I think Ryzen support in the kernel is still not fully cooked yet.
MX Linux packager and developer

alan stone

Re: The ultimate compiling laptop?

#17 Post by alan stone »

stevepusser wrote:I saw one reviewer say that the eighth generation Intel chips have almost double the number crunching power of the seventh generation, which would also be nice.
That would be most welcome indeed for the required use, +30-40% was (initially?) announced if I remember well.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: The ultimate compiling (package building) laptop?

#18 Post by steve_v »

i7-8700K...
GTX 1080
Beastly :D
Just flat out "ultimate performance laptop" compiling, gaming, rendering, whatever. Might have to get one to run Gentoo on :P
That looks like a pretty beefy cooling arrangement too, wonder what kind of load it can do continuous?

As for the Nvidia vs AMD debate back a bit, I too have had "fun" with the garbage AMD/ATI drivers. Never again. Nvidia may be non-free and a bit of a PITA, but at least their drivers work.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

alan stone

#19 Post by alan stone »

wizard10000 wrote:I think the biggest issue you're gonna have on a laptop is cooling and sadly, there ain't a whole lot you're going to be able to do about it.
Ice Bucket Challenge it?

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

alan stone wrote:
wizard10000 wrote:I think the biggest issue you're gonna have on a laptop is cooling and sadly, there ain't a whole lot you're going to be able to do about it.
Ice Bucket Challenge it?
A review I saw said you're going to roast some delicate bits if you actually try and use it on your lap. I imagine battery life is going to be quite short, too, but that's not a concern for me.

Head_on_a_Stick

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

steve_v wrote:Nvidia may be non-free and a bit of a PITA, but at least their drivers work.
Does anybody here believe in the paradigmatic superiority of open source development?

The amdgpu driver is a massive improvement over fglrx precisely because AMD open-sourced the development and their efforts deserve our support (notwithstanding the firmware issues, which Intel now also have).

Anyway, the idea is that we punish NVIDIA and the other blobby miscreants by denying them our cash and taking the performance hit like a man, righteously.

@stevepusser: sorry for the diversion.

I would go for something like this:

https://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/t ... 2TP2TT5800

^ Intel i7-8550U and no nasty NVIDIA cards to be seen :)

OK it's only the mobile version of the CPU but it should still do fairly well.
deadbang

pawRoot

#22 Post by pawRoot »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Anyway, the idea is that we punish NVIDIA and the other blobby miscreants by denying them our cash and taking the performance hit like a man, righteously.
So we should buy AMD cards and put them on shelf ? :mrgreen:

stevepusser

#23 Post by stevepusser »

Thanks! The Lenovo looks nice. You can add a discrete Nvidia card for $125 US :lol:, which would be useful for testing MX's Nvidia installer tool. With that, the i7-8650u, 16 GB RAM, backlist keyboard, and a 512 GB NVME SSD drive, it comes to $2000 and won't roast nuts.

pawRoot

#24 Post by pawRoot »

Lenovo has awful support in Europe, don't know about US.

n_hologram

#25 Post by n_hologram »

Purely out of curiosity, what's stopping you from making a headless (eg, mini itx) build with, say, hostapd for direct access (or, if you're mobile at hotels or something, using the television for a monitor)? Wouldn't the power output and machine weight be comparable anyway? That way, you can also solve the cooling issue, and I don't see the disadvantage to a case like this if your laptop would be massive and heavy anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Morex-Universal- ... i+itx+case

(I personally just offload any heavy-lifting to a box at home.)
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#26 Post by steve_v »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Does anybody here believe in the paradigmatic superiority of open source development?
I do, but I also require my hardware to work properly.
This particular hair-shirt is still unacceptably itchy.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The amdgpu driver is a massive improvement over fglrx precisely because AMD open-sourced the development and their efforts deserve our support
Cool. When it works as well as the Nvidia blob, and the actual hardware performs as well as the Nvidia cards (without bullshitting about their power consumption), then I'll use it.
My past experience with AMD/ATI GPUs has been severely lacking in both respects, and Intel doesn't make anything with the performance I want. That leaves one option.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

stevepusser

#27 Post by stevepusser »

Yeah, I guess all that power can go to waste if you can't run at full speed for more than a short time. I can run my current Acer i5-6200U laptop flat out building kernels for hours at a time and it never gets over 73 C, but I guess the only way to find this kind of stuff is to try and find an actual user review.

stevepusser

#28 Post by stevepusser »

I found test results at the notebookcheck site...it seems like most with a "u" processor don't suffer temperature slowdowns. They do multiple runs of the Cinebench benchmark and see if they take longer the more runs they do.

But now I am wondering if it's worth waiting for the next versions of the Intel processors that are supposed to solve any Spectre and Meltdown vunerabilities, and if those will still be subject to the same performance loss with a hardened kernel that the current processors suffer. Those chips are supposed to be out in the next few months.

stevepusser

#29 Post by stevepusser »

It seems that there is going to be a new crop of six-core i7-8750H laptops that are considerably less expensive, lighter, and get better battery life than the previous ones we've been looking at, such as this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6834154821 I'll have to check the reviews when they start selling. Since I wouldn't be using the powerful Nvidia card for compiling, hopefully it has dual Optimus graphics.

Hmmm...wi-fi is Intel 9560 Jefferson Peak (2x2 802.11ac). Usually Intel wi-fi is not the worst to get working if it doesn't work OOTB.

stevepusser

#30 Post by stevepusser »

I finally went ahead and pulled the trigger on this one, which has some even better specs than the other MSI: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWF4H3W/re ... =UTF8&th=1

as well as hard drive activity, key lock, and num lock LEDs, all of which my present two-core Acer lacks, though I have worked around that with taskbar indicators for those.

Richard

Re: [SOLVED-for now] The ultimate package building laptop?

#31 Post by Richard »

It actually weighs the same as the first one, 4.8 pounds,
or about 2.13 kg. Not bad, if you don't have to carry it around airports. :)
MX18: Lenovo T430: Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3320M, 8 GB RAM, 4.19.0-1-amd64, 119 GB SSD

stevepusser

#32 Post by stevepusser »

My present laptop is heavier, so 2.2 Kg is an upgrade. :) But the power brick is no doubt going to be bigger and heavier, since my current lappy doesn't use that much current. The new one has a 45 watt TPD CPU and 95 watt Nvidia 1050 Ti GPU that will be turned off when I'm compiling. I hope the turbo extra super-duper fan speed button works on the new one in Linux if I see it getting too hot; if I'm lucky, it's done in acpi and Linux will just work with it, as well as the rest of the function hot keys.

Richard

#33 Post by Richard »

Looking forward to reading the reports in the forums.
It looks like a great machine.
MX18: Lenovo T430: Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3320M, 8 GB RAM, 4.19.0-1-amd64, 119 GB SSD