Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't play m4a (AAC) files.

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
pawRoot

Can't play m4a (AAC) files.

#1 Post by pawRoot »

I am on i3wm, using Rhythmbox for music files, i never had to install any codecs (unstable) to play those files,
but now on new install it says i need some gstreamer stuff.

I have installed libavcodec-extra and the error changed to "Your Gstreamer installation is missing a plug-in.".

But what is most confusing that i never had to install any of this crap to play my music files.

stevepusser

Re: Can't play m4a (AAC) files.

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Welcome to the world of gstreamer plugin playback. That's just how it works for that framework. Other players can use internal versions of the codecs or use libavcodec directly.

Did you install the missing plugin packages to get it to work?
MX Linux packager and developer

pawRoot

#3 Post by pawRoot »

I can't figure out what should i install to play AAC, it always worked ... :x

EDIT:

they play fine in cmus :roll:

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Code: Select all

apt install gstreamer1.0-libav

bw123

#5 Post by bw123 »

I don't have many .aac files, but I kind of like them. VLC on stretch does fine with them. I have shunned gstreamer for a long time now, because of the huge amount of dependencies, although vlc is somewhat bloated also.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

pawRoot

#6 Post by pawRoot »

Wheelerof4te wrote:

apt install gstreamer1.0-libav
It kind of works, but when Rhythmbox imports all music, and i play some file, it freezes.
bw123 wrote:I don't have many .aac files, but I kind of like them.
Yes much better than crappy mp3.

Wheelerof4te

#7 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Try Audacious or Cantata.

pawRoot

#8 Post by pawRoot »

But i want to use Rhythmbox, this is what always worked. :roll:

Wheelerof4te

#9 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I don't know why RHBX freezes, but then again I wouldn't use Sid for those very reasons. Try searching for bug reports on similar issue.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

pawRoot wrote:But i want to use Rhythmbox, this is what always worked. :roll:
I guess the web search engines are refusing you service now.

apt depends rhythmbox
Look under the Suggested packages for a set of plugins, since Debian won't have installed that by default, preferring open codecs.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#11 Post by cds60601 »

I realize that adding other repos may be frowned on however, and with that being said;

###Debian Multimedia
deb [arch=amd64,i386] https://www.deb-multimedia.org (stable/testing/unstable) main non-free <----- modify to reflect your version of Debian

This should get you any or all the non-free codecs you might want. Read up on the pros/cons on adding this and visit the site to ensure this IS what you want to do as well as adding the proper GPG key but that is pretty straight forward.

As always, YMMV

Cheers
Chris
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

cds60601 wrote:Debian Multimedia
^ There have been quite a few reports of dependency problems caused by that repository, I wouldn't advise using that at all.
deadbang

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#13 Post by cds60601 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: ^ There have been quite a few reports of dependency problems caused by that repository, I wouldn't advise using that at all.
I would generally agree with the above especially if one happens to be using Sid and maybe Testing.
I think a better argument to my suggestion would be to post links or other feedback to help solidify an opposing view on this (or any) topic.
This way a user can reference and determine the needs versus any possible adverse interactions and then choose the avenue to pursue based on being educated.

Please keep in mind while I was offering a suggestion, I did mention YMMV (you mileage may vary).
My experience w/Stable the past 9 months (and on 3 systems currently), these issues have not been present so I can't comment on the anomalies mentioned.
I have been very happy with the results of using the mentioned 3rd party repo. Of course as I have stated, YMMV.

Cheers
Chris

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

Sigh....just install gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad.

pawRoot

#15 Post by pawRoot »

stevepusser wrote:Sigh....just install gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad.
I did.

Head_on_a_Stick

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

cds60601 wrote:I think a better argument to my suggestion would be to post links or other feedback to help solidify an opposing view on this (or any) topic.
This way a user can reference and determine the needs versus any possible adverse interactions and then choose the avenue to pursue based on being educated
Undoubtedly and I would certainly recommend such research for all readers but I just don't have the time, sorry.
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#17 Post by GarryRicketson »

by Head_on_a_Stick » Undoubtedly and I would certainly recommend such research for all readers but I just don't have the time, sorry.
+100,

Adding , I don't have the interest either, it is not my problem.
For any readers, that have the same problem and are interested, including the OP , should learn to do their own research instead of taking random BAD advice at face value. A good place to start:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Don't blindly follow bad advice

Unfortunately there's a lot of bad advice on the Internet. Tutorials found on blogs, forums and other sites often include instructions that will break your system in subtle ways. Don't simply follow the first advice you find, or the tutorial that seems the easiest. Spend some time reading the documentation and compare the difference between tutorials.

It's better to take the time to figure out the correct way to do something first than spending even more time fixing a broken system later. You would not let some random stranger feed your baby; do not execute commands without first understanding what they do.

Blog and forum posts don't expire. Instructions that might have been safe a couple of years ago might not be safe to follow any more. When in doubt keep researching and read your version's documentation.
Then what follows :
Read The Fantastic Manuals
==========================
Do some research:
Why is it a bad idea to use Debian Multimedia from deb-multimedia.org on Debian
==============
First hit: Debian Says Remove Unofficial Debian-Multimedia.org Repository From Your Sources
That is just to start,
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
cds60601 wrote:Debian Multimedia
^ There have been quite a few reports of dependency problems caused by that repository, I wouldn't advise using that at all.
When someone asks a question, then they should take some of the experienced users advice seriously, or do their own research instead,...
I have seen quite a few posts even right here on this forum , with problems caused by dependency problems and the Debian-Multimedia repositories, but again , this is not my problem, and I don't have the time or interest to do the searching for the OP.

pawRoot

#18 Post by pawRoot »

And am i taking bad advice ? are you drunk again or what ?

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#19 Post by cds60601 »

pawRoot wrote:And am i taking bad advice ? are you drunk again or what ?
Naa - I think that was pointed at me :) (and point taken too).
I don't know if my suggestion is "bad advice" but I can see how it would fall into that category by much more seasoned Deb-Users.
So with that, allow me to redraw my suggestion and I yield to the more experienced folks :D

Cheers
Chris

GarryRicketson

#20 Post by GarryRicketson »

Chris, No I am not saying it is "bad advice", nor am I saying it is "good advice".
The wiki says :
Don't blindly follow bad advice
The key word "blindly",
I think I was pretty clear, the point being people should research the answers they find, and get. H_O_A_S warned that the Debian multi-media repos can be problematic, because of dependency issues, and also :
Undoubtedly and I would certainly recommend such research for all readers but I just don't have the time, sorry.
Anybody interested, or wanting to undertsand better , as to why the multi-media repos is not a good choice, should do their own research, instead of expecting others to do it for them, and blindly taking what ever others might advise.
This is one thread , that has some examples of the problems with the Debian multi-media repos.
Repo mix-and-match hit parade

You did state "Your Milage May vary", that is good advise,
I have been very happy with the results of using the mentioned 3rd party repo. Of course as I have stated, YMMV.
Some people have used them with no problems, others have had problems, it is not very reliable, sort of like Russian Roulette,... "Look, I pull the trigger"--- click, and nothing happened,... spin the revolver again, "Here you try",...click, nothing happens,... spin it again, "Here, you try , nothing happened to me ",...
the 3rd guy takes his turn, and pulls the trigger, " Boom" , .... :mrgreen:
But at least with the computer it is not a life and death situation, just a "toy" , and one can all ways simply re-install a fresh clean system if and when it goes "boom".

Here, you did say : "Read up on the pros/cons on adding this and visit the site to ensure this IS what you want to do ----" Which , again is good advise.
by cds60601 »This should get you any or all the non-free codecs you might want. Read up on the pros/cons on adding this and visit the site to ensure this IS what you want to do as well as adding the proper GPG key but that is pretty straight forward.

As always, YMMV
=================
I did miss this though:
Postby stevepusser » 2018-03-13 14:25
pawRoot wrote:
But i want to use Rhythmbox, this is what always worked. :roll:

I guess the web search engines are refusing you service now.
I did not realize the system the OP is using is so borked that they can not do any searches, or use the search engines, so I guess those that are willing and have the time, interest, etc will need to spoon feed the OP and do the research
for them. Have fun :lol: