Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Versionized package installation

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
levrik

[SOLVED] Versionized package installation

#1 Post by levrik »

Hi,
I would like to automate package installation on different debian nodes. I do have to ensure, that the correct package versions for each node are getting installed (which are not necessarily the newest in the repository!).
AFAIK "dpkg --set-selections" does not care about versions. I would like to have some text/xml/json/whatsoever file which defines the package names plus versions which should be installed. Is there any toolset in place which could be used, or is my use case that extraordinary that i do have to implement that with scripts?

Thanks for hints.
Last edited by levrik on 2018-03-18 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

debiman

Re: Versionized package installation

#2 Post by debiman »

you do not mention which debian version you use.

why do you need some specific version of what software?

in any case, debian's package management allows for a LOT of fine-tuning - after defining your requirements (for yourself), you should check first if what you want is possible with apt.

levrik

#3 Post by levrik »

I'm talking about jessie and stretch. It is a part of a product where debian based embedded devices (running software provided by debian as well as self written software) get tested and approved by customers and are not allowed to be changed again without further test and approval. I would like to define the packages and their (approved) versions for each customer and be able to automatically install them by some build agent.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have you read apt_preferences(5)?

I don't have much personal experience of pinning but I think it can do what you want.
deadbang

levrik

#5 Post by levrik »

Thank you for your hint!
After a first glimpse into the man page it seems useful to me.