Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing PyCharm

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
pawRoot

Installing PyCharm

#1 Post by pawRoot »

Hi

I am trying to install PyCharm Community Edition, the thing is that it's like with Firefox, you can just unpack
the archive and run the .sh file, but i want to be able to run it with dmenu in i3wm, and if possible also bind it
to a key.

Any ideas? :wink:

https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/downl ... tion=linux

Dai_trying

Re: Installing PyCharm

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

I just create a .desktop file and then attach it wherever I need to, it used to place a desktop file itself for use in most menus but I noticed that it doesn't do that now.
I'm not familiar with i3wm menu structure but I'm sure it shouldn't be too difficult to add an item...

pawRoot

#3 Post by pawRoot »

I believe that dmenu doesn't work with .desktop files.

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

According to this post
i3-dmenu-desktop is a script which extracts the (localized) name from application .desktop files, offers the user a choice via dmenu(1) and then starts the chosen application via i3 (for startup notification support).
So maybe you could install (if you haven't already) i3-dmenu-desktop to get this functionality.