Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved]A GUI package for using Text-To-Speech Tech?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bkpsusmitaa

[Solved]A GUI package for using Text-To-Speech Tech?

#1 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

I have Orca screen reader, but can it be used to read any open text files? I don't know how it can be in GUI.
I also see that there is speech-dispatcher-espeak for reading text files.
But is there a standalone application in Linux to read text files? With AT&T speech engine if someone has a copy of the engine?
How is GNUSpeech? Is it standalone? That is, can it be downloaded, decompressed and run without installation?
Last edited by bkpsusmitaa on 2018-03-23 14:01, edited 3 times in total.
Freedom is impossible to conceive.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A GUI package for using Text-To-Speech Tech?

#2 Post by Hallvor »

[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

bkpsusmitaa

#3 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

Hallvor wrote:Something like this? https://www.kde.org/applications/utilities/jovie/
Thanks, Hallvor. kjovie is no longer maintained.
Just downloaded http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuspeech/. But I am not sure it can be run as standalone without installation. Like Firefox standalone. The standalone model is far better.
I don't believe it will be able to use the AT&T speech engine.
Books that help:
Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People and Emilie Post's Etiquette In Society, In Business, In Politics, And At Home

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Hallvor »

bkpsusmitaa wrote:Thanks, Hallvor. kjovie is no longer maintained.
I know. But it is still included in Stretch, and will be there for quite some time. If it is the best tool, I'd use it until something better comes up.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

bkpsusmitaa

#5 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

Hallvor wrote:I know. But it is still included in Stretch, and will be there for quite some time. If it is the best tool, I'd use it until something better comes up.
It is horrible, Hallvor. If you have ever had used TextAloud with AT&T voice, the rest will pale in comparison. I had, at my friend's. jovie uses espeak.
But once again, thank you. I think I would rather use it until I can find out a way to find and add the AT&T voice in Jovie.
Books that help:

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

bkpsusmitaa wrote:
Hallvor wrote:I know. But it is still included in Stretch, and will be there for quite some time. If it is the best tool, I'd use it until something better comes up.
It is horrible, Hallvor. If you have ever had used TextAloud with AT&T voice, the rest will pale in comparison. I had, at my friend's. jovie uses espeak.
But once again, thank you. I think I would rather use it until I can find out a way to find and add the AT&T voice in Jovie.
jovie can use any of the modules that are configured to work in speech-dispatcher. I like espeak myself, but I've also used festival and cicero and they are okay. I've never tried to add another module like the one you mentioned. I kind of agree the client/server setup is confusing. I'm not sure about any standalone speech apps, but there might be...

You can also use spd-say from cli to read a file, it's pretty easy but has a lot of option, decent man page.

Code: Select all

$ cat /etc/issue.net | spd-say --pipe-mode
Debian GNU/Linux 9
resigned by AI ChatGPT

bkpsusmitaa

Re: [Solved]A GUI package for using Text-To-Speech Tech?

#7 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

bw123 wrote: I've never tried to add another module like the one you mentioned
You won't. That combo was for Doze. A few years back I had observed those in operation and immediately fell in love. Unfortunately, I can't motivate myself to use Doze.
Thanks for replying. I shall remember.
Books that help:

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

bkpsusmitaa wrote:
bw123 wrote: I've never tried to add another module like the one you mentioned
You won't. That combo was for Doze. A few years back I had observed those in operation and immediately fell in love. Unfortunately, I can't motivate myself to use Doze.
Thanks for replying. I shall remember.
Well, if you find any good tips let people know, ok? I have rigged up some configs with slower, higher, female/male/child voices, different accents and such. You can change all of that, including pauses and punctuation modes... I change up now and then just for something new. I really enjoy audio when reading along with text, but I guess every person will need to find what voice they prefer.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

bkpsusmitaa

#9 Post by bkpsusmitaa »

bw123 wrote:...if you find any good tips let people know, ok? ...
Sure.
bw123 wrote:... but I guess every person will need to find what voice they prefer ...
Yes, true ...
Okay, bye. This thread has served its purpose. Thanks, everyone.
Books that help: