Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

IMAP on outlook.com doesn't work

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
alecarnevale

IMAP on outlook.com doesn't work

#1 Post by alecarnevale »

Hi, I've problems with my outlook mail accounts on Debian 9.
I've 3 different accounts: an @hotmail.it, an @outlook.com and one of my university on office365.

Scenario: using GNOME Online Account I've set the first two as Microsoft and last one with Microsoft Excange. But Evolution doesn't load my mails (previously installed evolution-ews for office365 account). Tried also manual setting from Evolution but doesn't work.
Same scenario on Thunderbird (connection to server fail) using both automatic and manual configuration. Same on Geary.

Anyway my settings are:
- imap-mail.outlook.com at 993 SSL/TLS
- smtp-mail.outlook.com at 587 STARTTLS

Sometimes (rarely) thunderbird or evolution succeed to connect and download mails. Seems to happen more frequent using my university wi-fi.

Additional note:
- I've also a gmail account that work great with all applications (evolution, todo, calendar, thunderbird...)
- All applications and all account works great in ubuntu/elementary/mint (same server configuration written above)
- My wi-fi network is a normal ADSL with WPA2, while my university use WPA2 Enterprise with PEAP (MSCHAPv2)
- The issue appear using both Debian 9 stable and testing (GNOME and xfce).

Maybe any missing package? I really appreciate any help, thanks.

bigrigdriver

Re: IMAP on outlook.com doesn't work

#2 Post by bigrigdriver »

I had a similar problem getting KDE's kmail set up to collect mail from my gmail account.

It was necessary to go to my gmail account settings which, by default, did not allow third party mail apps to collect gmail. By changing that setting to allow kmail to collect my gmail. I was able to get it working.

I suggest that you check you outlook settings to see if there is a similar setting preventing you from getting your outlook mail in Debian.
Registered GNU/Linux user #170078

Go ask google before you ask on these boards.

It it isn't broken, Tweak It !!!