Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] System backup

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ticojohn

[SOLVED] System backup

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I have never performed a full system backup but have always backed up my /home directory using Grsync. I am now thinking about upgrading fro Jessie to Stretch and want to do a full backup first in case there are problems. This is the command I am trying to run but on execution NOTHING happens. Now error messages, nothing. Can somebody take a look at the command and tell me where I am going wrong?

Code: Select all

# rsync -aAXv --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/home/*/.thumbnails/*","/home/*/.cache/mozilla/*","/home/*/.cache/chromium/*","/home/*/.local/share/Trash/*","/lost+found"} / /media/john/5718-482B/Jessie_BU
The target is an external USB HDD formatted as vfat. Do I need to reformat the drive as ext4? It always worked with Grsync, but perhaps rsync will not write to vfat.

UPDATE: Doing some research and I think the problem is that the USB HDD is formatted as VFAT. I will reformat it to ext4 and see how thing go.
Last edited by ticojohn on 2018-04-07 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

ticojohn

Re: System backup

#2 Post by ticojohn »

I found the problem. DUMB! At the root prompt root@user:/home/user# I then put in the command as # rsync . DOUBLE # caused the system to think it was a comment and so did not execute anything. HOW DUMB ! Anyway, got the backup.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

VFAT is a poor target for a system backup - you will get the files, but no links, permissions or ownership metadata, so it will be effectively useless.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

ticojohn

#4 Post by ticojohn »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:VFAT is a poor target for a system backup - you will get the files, but no links, permissions or ownership metadata, so it will be effectively useless.
Thanks for that response. I kind of figured that out and reformatted the USB as ext4. But the real problem I had was that I had an extra "#" in the rsync command so it was just ignored. Glad I changed the format to ext4 before actually getting it to work.