Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

The power of apt

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
sandleaf

The power of apt

#1 Post by sandleaf »

hello forum

I am quite interested about the performance and power of apt, with apt I can install and delete everything on a linux system, including the kernel. In the installation procedure for debian it was looking as the installation of this system was going almost entirely from apt, of course I did not consider installing a system from scratch in apt, but perhaps it's possible to install packages from a system to another (deactivated) system. The way you guys think about the possibilites of apt and possibly almost making a complete system from scratch?

Segfault

Re: The power of apt

#2 Post by Segfault »

No, apt has no power to delete or install anything. It is the administrator who has this power, using apt and other tools.

I suggest taking a course on this, upon completion you can answer your question yourself.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Debian has available a minimum install which loads the bare necessities. Many of us use it and then use apt to add what we want. It is a nice way to have a custom install.

A warning. Before doing this you have to know how to navigate the file system and how to edit files using vi or nano. Most importantly you need to know what you want and what you need to make that happen.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Looking at what pbuilder considers a base Debian system, the tgz tarballs of such are about 120-130 MB on my system. It's just a few package installs and commands in a terminal to have pbuilder create one on your system, too.
MX Linux packager and developer