Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Check .deb file

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Chrisdb

Check .deb file

#1 Post by Chrisdb »

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to check if a .deb file was compiled for Debian and not for another distro like for example Ubuntu?

Thx

Bulkley

Re: Check .deb file

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Where did you get it?

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Not necessarily, if the packager did not specifically mention it in the versioning. For example, to be efficient, I have all my palemoon builds for Debian and Ubuntu generate from one set of source packages, so that all the packages end up with the same name, regardless of what platform they were built upon.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... r/palemoon

But generally, if you use gdebi or apt to install your deb file, you're going to be protected from installing an incompatible package.
MX Linux packager and developer

Chrisdb

#4 Post by Chrisdb »

Example:
https://code.visualstudio.com/download

It says Debian/Ubuntu, but for all we know it could be compiled for only Ubuntu...

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Chrisdb wrote:for all we know it could be compiled for only Ubuntu...
As long as gdebi will install it then incompatible library versions may prevent it from working but it won't b0rk your system.

EDIT: anyway they have a tar.gz source code download option so use that instead if you're that worried.
deadbang