Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

All Browsers Time Out or Freeze

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
News Bug

All Browsers Time Out or Freeze

#1 Post by News Bug »

Hello,
I have tried every browser I can find for debian 9 and still have the same problem, so I'm wondering if there is something I need to install on my system to fix it.
When I connect to any video site, (YouTube, etc.) it freezes or stops until it buffers or won't play at all. I know they are using html5 videos, but how does that affect my end, and how can I fix it?
I'm relatively new to Linux, but I'm loving debian 9.4, so I need some help, please.

Thanks,
News Bug

Segfault

Re: All Browsers Time Out or Freeze

#2 Post by Segfault »

What graphics hardware do you have.

News Bug

#3 Post by News Bug »

Segfault wrote:What graphics hardware do you have.
I have the nVidia GeForce 610 card.

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

There is no Optimus or other hybrid graphics, correct?

For nouveau driver you may need to install firmware, can't tell off the top of my head, but I think Fermi cards require it. You may be better off with proprietary driver.

News Bug

#5 Post by News Bug »

Segfault wrote:There is no Optimus or other hybrid graphics, correct?

For nouveau driver you may need to install firmware, can't tell off the top of my head, but I think Fermi cards require it. You may be better off with proprietary driver.
I install the nvidia-driver_375.82-1~deb9u1_amd64.deb drivers for it after I loaded the system, replacing the nouveau driver. But it didn't help. I thought it would. The nVidia gt-610 is the only card in it and there isn't an on board video. I've scratched my head a lot over this one and beginning to pull hear out. lol

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

Browsers often link to high usage sites which stress the system. Keep in mind that you may have an hardware problem. As Segfault noted, video cards can be a source of problems.

Segfault

#7 Post by Segfault »

Code: Select all

glxinfo | head
This will tell you if hardware acceleration is enabled. Browsers often try to use hardware decoding but sometimes they may fail, in this case you may be better off using software decoding. In Chromium/Chrome you can check

chrome://gpu/
Firefox

about:support

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

also output of

lspci -k | grep -iEA5 'vga|display|3d'
please.

note:
- the geforce 610 is fairly old, not sure if the newest nvidia driver is suitable
- just installing it might not be enough
- your search begins here: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
- make sure you do NOT have flashplugin installed.

Wheelerof4te

#9 Post by Wheelerof4te »

For older Nvidia cards that may not have proper support in Debian Stable non-free repo, nouveau free driver is recommended along with firmware. Maybe you don't have non-free firmware installed?
If you have Optimus system, you are out of luck as the Linux support for such systems is right now in the domain of memes.