Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do I stop daily automatic package downloads?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
doctordruidphd

How do I stop daily automatic package downloads?

#1 Post by doctordruidphd »

I need to stop the system from automatically downloading upgradeable packages every time it boots. This is causing unreasonable delays in booting and startup.

Let me make clear what I want to do: I DO want to automatically check for upgradable packages. I do NOT want them to be automatically downloaded, this is something I will do myself when time permits, rather than having the boot process grind to a halt.

This may have something to do with a script at /usr/lib/apt/apt.systemd.daily , but I haven't figured out how to kill the auto downloading. As a last resort I could remove /etc/cron.daily/apt-compat, which seems to be what is getting this whole show going, but that will stop checking for upgrades as well.

I have removed --purged the "automatic-upgrades" package but it is still doing this.

Thanks for any help on this.

Dai_trying

Re: How do I stop daily automatic package downloads?

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

I usually leave unattended upgrades installed as I think it is also responsible for updating the apt db (could be wrong...) so I simply alter the file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades to disable the upgrading but leave the package list updating resulting in the file looking like this :-

Code: Select all

APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "0";
I think it would give you the behaviour you require.

doctordruidphd

Re: How do I stop daily automatic package downloads?

#3 Post by doctordruidphd »

Thanks, will give it a shot.