Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Difficulty installing mx-tweak

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kendew

[Solved] Difficulty installing mx-tweak

#1 Post by kendew »

I am running Debian 9 on a laptop and mainly through this forum learned about MX, so I added the repository. So far I've appreciated many of the packages that are now available to me, mainly newer backported versions of essential software. In fact, I decided to install the full MX Linux on an old Dell Inspiron 10 I was setting up for someone and I was happy everything just worked, wifi and all, out of the box as it were.
I noticed a package called mx-tweak I'd like to install on this first Stretch laptop, but can't get it to work. I get led to a dependency called faenza-cupertino-icons that isn't available. I wonder why a particular icon set would be a dependency and if there is any way to get around this. I don't just want to go installing various packages as I'm interested in stability. But here his where a simulation led me. Any help appreciated:

Code: Select all

apt-get --simulate install mx-tweak
NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 mx-tweak : Depends: mx-tweak-data but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
kendew@Ao:~$ apt-get --simulate install mx-tweak-data
Building dependency tree       
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 mx-tweak-data : Depends: faenza-cupertino-icons but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
kendew@Ao:~$ apt-get --simulate install faenza-cupertino-icons
Building dependency tree       
Package faenza-cupertino-icons is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'faenza-cupertino-icons' has no installation candidate
Last edited by kendew on 2018-05-05 23:43, edited 2 times in total.

Bulkley

Re: Difficulty installing mx-tweak

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Your first clue should have been that MX. Mx-tweak has been customized by and for MX Linux. I'm not sure but it may be a spin-off of gnome-tweak-tool which is in the Debian repository.

Do yourself a really big favour and remove that mx repository. You don't want to break your Debian. Or do you? MX Linux is a good distro with lots to recommend it but it has some customized stuff which may not play well with Debian.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Bulkley wrote:Your first clue should have been that MX. Mx-tweak has been customized by and for MX Linux. I'm not sure but it may be a spin-off of gnome-tweak-tool which is in the Debian repository.

Do yourself a really big favour and remove that mx repository. You don't want to break your Debian. Or do you? MX Linux is a good distro with lots to recommend it but it has some customized stuff which may not play well with Debian.
Ahem...MX developer here. MX-tweak uses some specific icons from that icon set. Maybe the developer can bundle them with mx-tweak instead, I'll ask him.

Another icon package won't break Debian; it's about as safe and universal as you can get. But I think some of the appearance tweaks depend on themes and custom settings that may not be in Debian. You would have to also install that icon package deb and mx-tweak-data deb manually if you don't add the MX repo; you can find them in the repo here: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/m/mx-tweak-data/

MX also uses the antiX repo, so that's where the faenza-cupertino-icons live: http://antix.daveserver.info/stretch/po ... ino-icons/

BTW, MX just got a great 10/10 rating in June's Linux Format magazine, and also just got to the top of Distrowatch's rankings based on user reviews. Woo-hoo!
MX Linux packager and developer

kendew

#4 Post by kendew »

Thanks for replies. I grabbed faenza-cupertino-icons from the antix repo and also the faenza-icons dependency. I already had the MX repo enabled so installation went without glitch.
I think the praise for MX Linux was well deserved. I feel I'll be making it a favorite distro to install on computers for other people, which says a lot since I almost always stick with Debian or Arch and not distros built on them.
Having installed Linux on lots of different computers both new and old, I find each computer has it's unique challenges. When I install on a computer I intend for personal use like this Chuwi Lapbook 12.3, I usually experiment a lot at first, then, when I find what works, wipe the hard drive and install fresh. I'm pretty sure that when I do that I'll be keeping the MX repo. I don't want to run old apps like pre-quantum Firefox and the backports I've installed from MX seem very stable. What keeps me from just installing MX Linux is I don't care for the Xfce DE, preferring to build and tweak from OpenBox. Also, I'm conservative about wanting to install just apps, fonts, etc., I plan on using.
Anyway, I consider this problem solved. Thanks again.

stevepusser

Re: [Solved] Difficulty installing mx-tweak

#5 Post by stevepusser »

There would probably be a demand for a MX respin that removed xfce in favor of openbox, especially if you could get it under 700 MB to fit on a CD. The snapshot tool helps make respins easier.

Since adding the Stretch-based NeptuneOS repo allows you to update KDE to 5.12, and it seems stable, I've been thinking of unleashing a respin of this unholy union on the world.
MX Linux packager and developer

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

stevepusser wrote:Ahem...
:) I knew you would be here, Steve. While it is one thing to use a package from another distro, even one as well put together as MX, it something else to add a repository and leave it open.

When you talk about re-spin I think not only of Openbox but slimmer. I have MX on a laptop. My main criticism is that it is too large having way more than I need. I have considered stripping it down. Understand, my first Linux came on a single 3 1/2" floppy.