Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

autologin issue after last april kernel upgrade

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
freespirit

autologin issue after last april kernel upgrade

#1 Post by freespirit »

i'm running stretch xfce, i had autologin on, and worked like a charm, after 04/29 kernel update, just after autologin the screen go black for 50 seconds then boot normally, or go on if i move the mouse, if i boot the system keep moving the mouse everything go smooth, i've searched a solution on the web found nothing i decided to upgrade to buster, everything went fine and with 4.15 kernel autologin was perfect, today linux 4.16 (04/29) was up i've upgraded and the problem is back, i've downgraded back to 4.15 and problem is gone.
i think somethig on 04/29 patch on both kernel give me some kind of issue, but i don't know how to figure it out, any suggestion?

freespirit

Re: autologin issue after last april kernel upgrade

#2 Post by freespirit »

i've made another trial, with buster also if i disable autologin, after i digit the user and password i see the debian desktop image but it stuck and go on desktop after a while only if i move the mouse

so:
xfce stretch autologin next to last kernel: is everything ok
xfce stretch autologin last kernel: after login phase screen become black and after 40 seconds go on desktop, alternatively if i move the mouse in that phase everything is ok
xfce stretch no-autologin: everything is normal
xfce buster autologin next to last kernel: is everything ok
xfce buster autologin last kernel: after login phase screen become black if i do not move the mouse it hold on black forever, if i move the mouse take more than stretch to go on desktop
xfce buster no-autologin last kernel: after login phase i see the debian lightdm greater image, if i do not move the mouse nothing happen, if i move it, it take a while to go on desktop

when i revert to the next to last kernel everything work like it should be

everything else work fine, but i can't understant where is the problem, i also have installed on a VM xfce stretch setted almost like the same my machine but i cannot reproduce the issue

kevinthefixer

#3 Post by kevinthefixer »

Several of us had the same problem. Has to do with low entropy, whatever that means, and the system runs out of random numbers during boot. Installing haveged fixes it, but there is now another kernel update with the problem fixed. Patch on a patch? Anyway it works now, without the extra haveged package.

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

...so just in case that wasn't clear enough:
do another

Code: Select all

apt update
apt upgrade
and it should be fixed again, no need to install any extra packages.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Just to note:
kevinthefixer wrote:Installing haveged fixes it
The haveged package was a workaround rather than a fix, urandom != random
deadbang

petmartino

#6 Post by petmartino »

Thank you this fixed the issue. Not upgrading, but installing haveged. Tested on buster 10.0.0

kevinthefixer

#7 Post by kevinthefixer »

??? Issue was fixed over a year ago, are you saying you experienced it again recently?