Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

vbeinfo missing

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
oldunixgeek

vbeinfo missing

#1 Post by oldunixgeek »

I'm trying to sort out console fonts and have come to /etc/default/grub which tells me to use 'vbeinfo' which has apparently vanished from the face of the earth. vbetools has no
such subcommand.

How can I find out what I can use for GRUB_GFXMODE? I hesitate to simply plug in 1920x1080 and perhaps end up with an unuseable system.

TIA. ;)

bw123

Re: vbeinfo missing

#2 Post by bw123 »

You use vbeinfo in the grub command prompt shell when you first boot, I think you hit the letter c. vbeinfo usually works, but there may be a couple other commands in the grub shell now, they will list the modes your hardware supports. I don't know if grub will do a 1920, I usually use 800x600x32 for a nice readable display with room for several kernels.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

oldunixgeek

#3 Post by oldunixgeek »

bw123:
Thanks.
Just FYI, whatever version of grub Debian 9 uses, the command was videoinfo, not vbeinfo.
Maybe someone should change the /etc/default/grub file.

Cheerios. ;)

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

oldunixgeek wrote:bw123:
Thanks.
Just FYI, whatever version of grub Debian 9 uses, the command was videoinfo, not vbeinfo.
Maybe someone should change the /etc/default/grub file.

Cheerios. ;)
I recall there was something different the last time I tried it. Well, it's your bug, do you know how to report it? you could probably include some info in your installation-report and someone will reply and help get it to the right pkg. https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 04.html.en

good luck!
resigned by AI ChatGPT