Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SSL/TSL gmail Mutt

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
andmon

SSL/TSL gmail Mutt

#1 Post by andmon »

Dear all,

When I start Mutt with gmail (Debian SID amd64) I get the following error message, although everything works fine.

SSL/TLS connection using TLS1.2 (ECDHE-RSA/CHACHA20-POLY1305/AEAD)[SASL-XOAUTH2] - Requesting authID![SASL-XOAUTH2] - Requesting token

Have you got any idea on how to fix it, please?

bw123

Re: SSL/TSL gmail Mutt

#2 Post by bw123 »

Can you tell google your aren't using that type of auth? Set it for plain or login. I don't know where the setting on gmail might be, I have an account but can't get in there right now on the web interface to check.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

andmon

#3 Post by andmon »

Thank you for your reply.

As far as I am concerned there is no possibility to implement your suggested solution.
Last edited by andmon on 2018-05-11 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

Gmail strongly suggests two way authentication, but if you select that, you cannot use gmail with other mail clients, in your case mutt.

andmon

#5 Post by andmon »

arzgi wrote:Gmail strongly suggests two way authentication, but if you select that, you cannot use gmail with other mail clients, in your case mutt.
This means I have to live with the annoying message :(
Thanks

arzgi

#6 Post by arzgi »

andmon wrote:
arzgi wrote:Gmail strongly suggests two way authentication, but if you select that, you cannot use gmail with other mail clients, in your case mutt.
This means I have to live with the annoying message :(
Thanks
Yepp, every time I log in to google (which I nowadays do very seldom) it complains about insecurity, but thats the price if I want to use gmail with sylpheed/mutt/what ever mail client.

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

I haven't used mutt in a long time, but I imagine it has settings for what sasl autheticators to use, or not to use. On alpine it's disable-these-authenticators and tweaking that is necessary for some email accounts, but I haven't noticed any trouble with gmail.

yet

I did have an issue once, when I needed to use gmail from work and it locked the whole acct up until I got online at home with a javascript browser, played around with captcha for 15 min, and then managed to turn off all the annoying security features. I have a username and password, and that is enough for me to deal with. If I want extra security I change the password.
resigned by AI ChatGPT