Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

AMD Bristol Ridge/Carrizo APU + Dual Graphics + PackageDelay

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
mrkapqa

AMD Bristol Ridge/Carrizo APU + Dual Graphics + PackageDelay

#1 Post by mrkapqa »

Hello ,

i have aquired a new computer with AMD A10-9700 APU ; it has internal R7 Graphics included, which works well with AMDGPU and also with FGLRX Driver (on Jessie).

Had installed Debian Stretch and was quite pleased with the performance;

one odd thing i noticed is that whenever i would try to install a package via Apt-get, Aptitude, Apt , it would take up to 5 seconds to start with the installation;

Why is that so?

My second question is if it is possible to use a DualGraphics Mode as suggested here

http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Recom ... phics.html

i have already a R5 230 passive graphics card;

how would this work out in practice?

Could someone please explain me how this DualGraphics Mode works?

Thank you!

PS. At the moment i am using Kubuntu 14.04.1 with Fglrx-driver.

mrkapqa

Re: AMD Bristol Ridge/Carrizo APU + Dual Graphics + PackageD

#2 Post by mrkapqa »

Another thing i noticed is that the installer (netinst) on Debian Stretch would take quite oddly longer to load and install as previously it would with Jessie et al.
i am talking not about Graphics installer, just plain text installation mode.
Has this this to do with recent changes in Kernel or what could be the cause for this?

debianneedstuning

#3 Post by debianneedstuning »

AIUI/AIEI, the fglrx driver is a proprietary driver from AMD and you'll need to use the AMD control centre, which is right mouse click ->applications->setting->AMD control Center and look the the various tabs{Well, that is what it is on my Deb Stretch Xfce sys)}. Soz, but is a while since I was using the AMD proprietary driver and I don't remember details now.

That will allow you to "indentify" the various displays, choose between the various modes(mirror, dual) and position them in the big picture(Left of, or right Of above, etc..

As to your questions about delay, it is normal, but dependant on what exactly your system is running at the same time and for stuff like update/upgrade you need to remember that the program is going out onto the intenet to query your selected souces and that can intriduce any numbger of problems.

mrkapqa

#4 Post by mrkapqa »

Thank you , didnot know about this AMD Control Center, will have a look!

The delays, i meant those delays that are because of changes in ... packaging apt-get , aptitude, apt, no matter which i use , starting with Debian Stretch i always have long delays, which is strange a bit .
On the same machine with Debian Jessie or Ubuntu 14.04 it would immediately start the download process, but with Stretch, it would look around or no matter what and after around 5 seconds it would start off downloading.