Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Brightness controls issue on Debian 9

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
zeroth

Brightness controls issue on Debian 9

#1 Post by zeroth »

Hi everyone

I am not very experienced with Linux so I hope the question won't seem too stupid.
I have just managed to install Debian 9 (Gnome) on an Imac (from mid 2011). Although most things seem to be ok I am having troubles with brightness.
The brightness bar in the interface is all fine, however if I move the cursor down, the screen doesn't respond.

This is all I have :
/sys/class/backlight
acpi_video0 radeon_bl0

For acpi_video0:
max_brightness is set at 15.
when I change the brightness level with the cursor my acpi_video0 outputs for brightness and actual_brightness change accordingly.

For radeon_bl0:
max_brightness is set at 255
actual_brightness and brightness are set at 103 and won't ever change when I interact with the interface controller for brightness.

I can adjust the screen brightness this way :
echo 100(or whatever number) | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/radeon_bl0/brightness

I would like to know how I could possibly fix the link with the interface controls ?

Thank you

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Brightness controls issue on Debian 9

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

zeroth wrote:echo 100(or whatever number) | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/radeon_bl0/brightness
You can drop the echo command and use a here string instead of the pipe:

Code: Select all

sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/radeon_bl0/brightness <<<"100"
But for actually fixing the problem try one of the kernel command line parameters listed here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ba ... ne_options

Perhaps the keys will start working if there is only one folder under /sys/class/backlight

Also, have you installed the non-free firmware required by your video card?
deadbang