Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Buster / testing - broken after upgrade

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Nomax

Debian Buster / testing - broken after upgrade

#1 Post by Nomax »

Hi team,

Just performed a routine apt update & apt full-upgrade and after reboot (new kernel installed as well) I just got the error message, that Debian is missing firmware:

[] bluetooth hci0: firmware: failed to load bcrm/BCM30702A1-0a5c-21e6.hcd (-2)
[] firmware_class: See wiki.debian.org/Firmware for information about missing firmware

After this, nothing happens. I deactivated bluetooth in BIOS which removed the messages as above but turns the screen black, no message or anything else stated.

In Grub I do see the following Kernel available:

4.16.0-1
4.15.0-2
4.14.0-3

With the 4.14 (recovery) I do get sometimes into Gnome, but rather occasionally.

Anyone encountered sinilar issues?

Many thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevepusser

Re: Debian Buster / testing - broken after upgrade

#2 Post by stevepusser »

There's a reason why it's called testing and not "Debian with the latest shiny new stuff." The zfs-dkms package in testing is currently broken with the 4.16 kernel, for example. The firmware packages in upstream Debian are due for some updates, especially with new Intel and AMD hardware requiring new versions. Reporting a bug to the developers it what you're supposed to do to get a fix for everyone.

You can search the web for the firmware file and try manually installing it in the meantime.
MX Linux packager and developer

dcihon

#3 Post by dcihon »

If you have never used Debian it is best to start with Stable until you learn some things first.

Nomax

#4 Post by Nomax »

dcihon wrote:If you have never used Debian it is best to start with Stable until you learn some things first.
Thanks - I thought similar, but rather giving it a go with testing in order to have a steeper learning curve ;-).

Fixed it after googling in similar threads, apparently it was the entropy issue, installed haveged package in a secondary tty console.

Thanks guys!!