Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is it worth it? 64bit deboostrap, chroot32 or just go 32bit

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
warningyoghurt

Is it worth it? 64bit deboostrap, chroot32 or just go 32bit

#1 Post by warningyoghurt »

Ok, just a general question being thrown out there. I've been using Sarge for a while now and pretty darn pleased with it although I'm still a noob. But I'd like to use Etch on a new laptop and use the old sarge one for messing about.

I've got Etch 64bit on an amd 64 bit proc laptop which I haven't used that much. Reason? Its 64 bit and although I've got the ia32-libs, its still no good with Java not working in the 32bit browsers, haven't even tackled flash yet. I've got to rebuild the laptop anyway as I messed up the partioning and ended up with a few gig of unusable drive space. Seeing as I've got to rebuild anyway, was just wondering which one to go with ie; 64bit or 32bit. So, for those of you using the etch 64bit, is it worth installing it then debootstrap-ping then chroot-ing (which I've still got to get my head around) all of this just to use browsers that can only handle 32bit flash and Java? Or do you recommend just going with 32bit Etch and have everything working ok without having to chroot32 and all that stuff. Just looking for opinions.

Thanks

Wheelerof4te

Re: Is it worth it? 64bit deboostrap, chroot32 or just go 32

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I'll bite.
Check out this page:
https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
Click on the blue i386 link below "image files" text. Forget about Etch.

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

If the OP wants to use Etch, that is their buisness, no need to forget it.
For Etch you need to use the archives,
http://archive.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/

I would stick with the 32 bit binary-i386/ if that is what works best on your PC, but it wouldn't hurt to try the 64 bit, see if it is any better.
Just looking for opinions.
In my opinion it would be better to use a more current Debian version, but realizeing Debian is not what it used to be, I can see why one would want a older version, or maybe forget about Linux , they try to be like windows, but just use the "real thing" Windows 10, is better.
Any way "opinions", well they are like something else everyone has.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

There are opinions. And then, there are bad advices. Bad advices are bad, same as missinformation. Support for Etch has ended long ago, and if OP wants to use a secure, reasonably up-to-date system (I believe he does), then suggesting EOL version of Debian is very, very bad forum practice.