Installer / How to resize partition

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Installer / How to resize partition

Postby mrkapqa » 2018-05-24 10:47

hello ,


since i started on journey to linux debian has been my favorite distro.

lately i started to wonder where this distro is going. it seemed a bit less responsive and a bit buggy, but maybe thats just my point of view and i tend to fous on some really annoying point.


One thing i keep wondering is why does Debian not include the best practice of Ubuntu to include the possibility to resize partition automatically to install Debian alongside an existing OS like Windows or other Linux?
It is a pretty fair feature and i am really hoping Debian admins are hearing this call;
Downsides i don't see any with this feature, so why don't learn from other Distro as well?
mrkapqa
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 2014-04-22 08:30

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby arzgi » 2018-05-24 12:35

Any automatic function turns to nightmare, when you want or have to do something else than default.

My sister got her first computer years ago, it had ubuntu preloaded. I had to help her quite a bit at start, and after 3rd time sister had debian :D
arzgi
 
Posts: 390
Joined: 2008-02-21 17:03
Location: Finland

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby cuckooflew » 2018-05-24 13:02

If i wanted Ubuntu 's so called features, I would install Ubuntu, but that would be stupid, it is such a bad distro. In fact it is so bad, it almost bricked my laptop. I finally managed to get rid of it and installed Windows 10, then after reading more about Debian, i fond out I could resize the partition and create a new one for Debian, i may try it, still have not yet tried , after my experience with Ubuntu, i am reluctant to put any linux system on my laptop.
But i do think it is better that Debian does not follow the bad examples of a poorly designed system used by Ubuntu and some of the other distros.
Besides that , resizeing and creating partitions is pretty basic, it should not be done automatically and is easily done manually as needed, even us windows users know a little about partitioning. I have FreeDos and windows 10 as dual boot, i might add Debian, but am sill reading the documentation and thingling about it.
cuckooflew
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 2018-05-10 19:34

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby bw123 » 2018-05-24 13:04

I think debian has learned too much from other distros already. I wonder also about where it is going. You seem to want it to be more like others, while I like it because it is(was?) unique.

The partitioning is covered here.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 05.html.en

My thought would be the reason partitioning should not done automatically is that it is potentially destructive. A backup would be a good idea.
User avatar
bw123
 
Posts: 3685
Joined: 2011-05-09 06:02
Location: TN_USA

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby mrkapqa » 2018-05-25 23:26

bw123 wrote:I think debian has learned too much from other distros already. I wonder also about where it is going. You seem to want it to be more like others, while I like it because it is(was?) unique.

The partitioning is covered here.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 05.html.en

My thought would be the reason partitioning should not done automatically is that it is potentially destructive. A backup would be a good idea.



Thank you ,

i did use Debian quite extensively and found never real need for Ubuntu, although i like the color Violet of it very much :)
since Debian Squeeze (actually the first Linux i longer used , alongside Wheezy) i found quite some uncomfortable "evolutions", if i may say that; being an beginner, still.
Whenever i tried Ubuntu the automatic installer i did enjoy, but you were right , it could give problems;
Nevertheless, i would not underestimate the comfort of partitioning or resizing on the fly, which i think is also important for people that are new to Linux and want a clean start withouth much fuss or tinkering; but hey, that again, would not be Linux, wouldn't it?
mrkapqa
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 2014-04-22 08:30

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby djk44883 » 2018-05-30 00:28

mrkapqa wrote: so why don't learn from other Distro as well?

Don't you realize ubuntu IS built from debian testing?!? ...kind of like they're learning from debian. Although debian does have options to resize partitions,

mrkapqa wrote: i don't see any with this feature
you not seeing doesn't make it a good idea
djk44883
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 2010-12-11 13:14

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby wizard10000 » 2018-05-30 09:58

I agree with Debian's decision not to allow the installer to resize partitions.

Resizing a partition is a destructive process and the potential for data loss is higher when partitioning than at any other point in the install. I wonder how many people who install *buntu actually back up their data before resizing a partition? I don't know if that's the reason Debian doesn't offer resizing but if I was a Debian dev I'd much rather people broke their machines on their own instead of during a Debian install :mrgreen:
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
User avatar
wizard10000
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: 2011-05-09 20:02
Location: everywhere i go, there i am!

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby debiman » 2018-05-31 17:40

hey look, i'm feeding the troll!

seriously, there's no such thing as "best practice", and anyhow, if ubuntu is so much better in your opinion, nobody is keeping you from using it. good bye!
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 3064
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby mrkapqa » 2018-12-09 08:52

I am still using Debian, which i like most, but the "resize" feature i am dearly missing, as it comes in handy sometimes (got used to handy partitioning from Mac OSX)
mrkapqa
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 2014-04-22 08:30

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby milomak » 2018-12-09 16:24

what is automatic resizing? how can a distro possibly know how big you want partitions to be?
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop: Lenovo ideapad Y700 [nVidia Optimus] (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Debian Sid
milomak
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: 2009-06-09 22:20

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby kevinthefixer » 2018-12-09 17:07

If you want everything done for you automatically, I recommend you stick with Windows. Or Ubuntu, which seems to be trying to emulate Windows these days. Debian is not trying to make itself easy for beginners, it is aimed at power users who are willing to make some effort to customize their own systems in order to optimize them for their own use. If I want my partitions resized, I'll do it myself, thank you. That can be done easily with any number of live distros, including a live CD made just to run gparted, or a Debian or even Ubuntu live CD. Again, if that's too much effort for you you're simply in the wrong place.
kevinthefixer
 
Posts: 124
Joined: 2018-05-05 22:30

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby mrkapqa » 2018-12-09 19:30

kevinthefixer wrote:If you want everything done for you automatically, I recommend you stick with Windows. Or Ubuntu, which seems to be trying to emulate Windows these days. Debian is not trying to make itself easy for beginners, it is aimed at power users who are willing to make some effort to customize their own systems in order to optimize them for their own use. If I want my partitions resized, I'll do it myself, thank you. That can be done easily with any number of live distros, including a live CD made just to run gparted, or a Debian or even Ubuntu live CD. Again, if that's too much effort for you you're simply in the wrong place.


Windows is a great Software, but i like simplicity of Linux, and am eager to learn about it.
For the sake of simplicity, i think it is really nice to have a "toolbox" that allows for easy manipulation of a HDD, when trying to install a new operating system, already on-board.
I have not thought of manipulating Harddisk with other programs, and have always taken what the program offered.

Only with Ubuntu i found out that it is effectively available to easily integrate this feature into the installer (besides, the Installer seems almost identical), and sometimes it happened that i installed Debian and would have needed this feature.

I think there is nothing wrong with asking the best of all of words to be integrated.

There are quite some things that i dislike with Debian (Pulseaudio, for example) , but way more things that i like, so now i am using Devuan (based on Debian), and Computing is good.
mrkapqa
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 2014-04-22 08:30

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby mrkapqa » 2018-12-09 19:34

milomak wrote:what is automatic resizing? how can a distro possibly know how big you want partitions to be?



Sorry, that was an "auto"type, wrong assumption; what i meant is, a feature, that allows for easy manipulation of HDD, eg. when an operating system is already installed, like Windows, and fits the entire HDD, the installer would recognize that, and offer the "automatic" resizing of the partition as to allow the installation of another operating system, eg. Debian.
mrkapqa
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 2014-04-22 08:30

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby llivv » 2018-12-09 20:17

mrkapqa wrote:Windows is a great Software, but i like simplicity of Linux, and am eager to learn about it.
For the sake of simplicity, i think it is really nice to have a "toolbox" that allows for easy manipulation of a HDD, when trying to install a new operating system, already on-board.
I have not thought of manipulating Harddisk with other programs, and have always taken what the program offered.
Only with Ubuntu i found out that it is effectively available to easily integrate this feature into the installer (besides, the Installer seems almost identical), and sometimes it happened that i installed Debian and would have needed this feature.
I think there is nothing wrong with asking the best of all of words to be integrated.
There are quite some things that i dislike with Debian (Pulseaudio, for example) , but way more things that i like, so now i am using Devuan (based on Debian), and Computing is good.
oh the irony !
Why posted here and not at Devuan?
Is this the linux friendliest forums? :idea:
Last edited by llivv on 2018-12-09 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
User avatar
llivv
 
Posts: 5861
Joined: 2007-02-14 18:10
Location: cold storage

Re: Installer / How to resize partition

Postby mrkapqa » 2018-12-09 20:24

llivv wrote:
what response do you get form Devuan users to statements like that?
mrkapqa wrote:
Hello , i have not asked them, since i use it since short time, and Debian since around 2013 probably.


mrkapqa wrote:There are quite some things that i dislike with Debian (Pulseaudio, for example) , but way more things that i like, so now i am using Devuan (based on Debian), and Computing is good.
oh the irony !
mrkapqa
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 2014-04-22 08:30

Next

Return to General Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

fashionable