Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cups and imagemagick dependency on Stretch

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Wowfunhappy

Cups and imagemagick dependency on Stretch

#1 Post by Wowfunhappy »

Hi,

I want to install cups onto my Stretch system, but I do not want to install imagemagick. Unfortunately, the version of cups-filters in the Stretch repository has a known bug that prevents graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat from satisfying the imagemagick dependency.

Because I need this bugfix, I ultimately decided to install cups from the Buster repository. I know that this is generally not recommended—however, the package is not available in stretch-backports, and installing it from the Buster repo with the --no-install-recommends flag enabled resulted in only 27 Buster packages being installed on my system, none of which were core libraries.

Everything seems to be working perfectly... is this probably going to be okay under the circumstances, or am I very likely to experience problems down the road? Alternately, is there a better solution?

Thank you so much!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cups and imagemagick dependency on Stretch

#2 Post by sunrat »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Everything seems to be working perfectly... is this probably going to be okay under the circumstances, or am I very likely to experience problems down the road?
There's only one answer for this - maybe.
Alternately, is there a better solution?
Install cups with imagemagick from Stretch. ;)
Why would you not want imagemagick?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Dennis99

#3 Post by Dennis99 »

Would graphicsmagick-libmagick-dev-compat be any better?

Wowfunhappy

#4 Post by Wowfunhappy »

sunrat wrote: There's only one answer for this - maybe.
...Well, that's better than almost definitely, so good to hear I guess!
sunrat wrote: Install cups with imagemagick from Stretch. ;)
Why would you not want imagemagick?
Um, because of OCD-like reasons. One of the things I really like about Debian is how I start out with a clean, terminal-only install and then decide EXACTLY what GUI apps I need (and don't need). ImagemagicK is a GUI app, which appears in Gnome's application drawer unless I manually remove the .desktop entry. And it's a visually ugly GUI app. Only apps that look pretty allowed on my system. :/
Dennis99 wrote:Would graphicsmagick-libmagick-dev-compat be any better?
This doesn't appear to resolve the cups-filters dependency on imagemagick?

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

Wowfunhappy wrote:Um, because of OCD-like reasons.
if you are able to write this, then you're abusing the term.

on my system, imagemagick amounts (incl. unique dependencies) to less than 10MB installed size.
a small price to pay for making sure you don't make a frankendebian, and thus a much more "OCD" decision.

Wowfunhappy

#6 Post by Wowfunhappy »

Okay, I think I have a solution:

Since the "bug" is just that the dependency is set incorrectly (ie, nothing in the binary was wrong), I just edited the requirements in the .deb file using this process.

Which brings me to my last question:

Can I modify the version to indicate that my cups-filters package is different than the one in the default repo, without actually conflicting with a "real" newer version?

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

The alternate method is to try and backport a version from upstream or snapshot.debian.org that doesn't suffer that bug.
MX Linux packager and developer

shep

#8 Post by shep »

Imagemagick is used by some ghostscript printer drivers to process graphics for printing.
The Imagemagick developers have a philosophy to release frequently. This philosophy speeds development at the risk of bugs.

Graphicsmagick was forked from Imagemagick to provide more stability.

Debian's policy of applying patches, rather than incrementing the version, should result in a relatively stable Imagemagick.

There are two other print spoolers in Debian LPR https://packages.debian.org/stretch/lpr and LPRng https://packages.debian.org/stretch/lprng that do not require Imagemagic,/GraphicsMagick. These work well with higher quality printers that support Postscript or PCL. If you go this route and need to print a jpeg or gif, you will need to use Graphicmagick to convert the image to a postscript file.