Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"Oh no! Something has gone wrong." nvidia driver install

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
juber

"Oh no! Something has gone wrong." nvidia driver install

#1 Post by juber »

Hello,

After trying to install an nvidia driver on Debian Stretch to properly handle my graphic card, I tried to restart my computer and I get the really useful "Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please log out and try again." The thing is, I really have no clue where I need to look up for answers when I connect in recovery mode. Which commands would be useful to gather the right informations for you to be able to help ?

Thanks in advance

bw123

Re: "Oh no! Something has gone wrong." nvidia driver install

#2 Post by bw123 »

resigned by AI ChatGPT

juber

#3 Post by juber »

Yes, I did
But I must apologize for the rush as I found a solution after looking around the internet, and it seems that running the following command after logging in as root in recovery mode worked :

Code: Select all

aptitude purge '~i nvidia'
It seems to get rid of the nvidia drivers, I didn't manage to install the correct drivers but at least I can now access the desktop.

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Which card?
Post the output of

Code: Select all

lspci -k
You should never log in as root. Always log in as the user, then switch to root when you need to.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

If you want help diagnosing what went wrong, install inxi and give us the result of "inxi -G". A common problem is trying to install the standard Nvidia drivers setup on an Optimus laptop instead of Bumblebee.

If you don't have an Optimus setup, refer to the Nvidia driver install procedure in the wiki, run each step, and give the full output of the command from the terminal here in code tags. Those can be copied and pasted from the terminal.
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

juber wrote: I didn't manage to install the correct drivers but at least I can now access the desktop.
If it's working properly now, why not stick with it? The default nouveau drivers work perfectly fine with most earlier cards (pre GTX9xx series) unless you use heavy 3D applications.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

kevinthefixer

#7 Post by kevinthefixer »

You followed the WIKI and nvidia-detect advised you to install the wrong driver? I've not heard that one before.