Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian gnome desktop icon upstream

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
faziopesce

Debian gnome desktop icon upstream

#1 Post by faziopesce »

I don't know which version of gnome will be in the next debian stable release but how can I know if debian team will maintain desktop icons or they will follow gnome ideology ? Will debian team develop the official plugin for gnome shell (that will support desktop icons in gnome) that is in beta on gitlab?

bw123

Re: Debian gnome desktop icon upstream

#2 Post by bw123 »

i found this searching the internet for debian+wiki+gnome+development
https://wiki.gnome.org/Debian

Pls do some search before starting topics? Thanks.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Wheelerof4te

#3 Post by Wheelerof4te »

From the gnome mailing lists for Debian:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gno ... 00000.html
My guess taken from logic and time-shedule for Debian 10 Buster:
1. GNOME version will probably be 3.30, given that full-freeze of Buster is around March 2019. By that time, GNOME 3.32 will be near, but I don't think it will be ready for Debian Stable.
2. Nautilus will be held to 3.26 version until there is proper extension in place that will replace depreciated desktop icon feature. When that happens, GNOME will switch to Nautilus 3.30 in Debian that will not support icons on the desktop.

HuangLao

#4 Post by HuangLao »

Gnome, removing features until you are left with:

Ahh, the simplicity is breathtaking.

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Shhh! It's a feature, not a bug.

HuangLao

#6 Post by HuangLao »

Wheelerof4te wrote:^Shhh! It's a feature, not a bug.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

Gnome 4 is coming soon
the user interface's simplicity and clarity will make it even better!

a happy beta tester:
After installing, I did a reboot and then, at the login screen, selected GNOME 4 as my desktop manager. I was soon greeted by the cheerful GNOME 4 default screen which, I can confidentially say, has the cleanest interface I've ever seen on my monitor except when it's turned off.
(..)
GNOME developers have really outdone themselves this time. It's obvious that they've given the whole "desktop" metaphor a complete rethink.
btw, the default colour can be changed by installing a shell extension from the store ;)

but of course, whenever linux developers come up with something truly genius, microsoft butts in and wants to take it away:
a Cease and Desist letter from Microsoft's lawyers. "The design of the GNOME 4 default screen bears an uncanny resemblance to a patented design that Microsoft has used since at least 1995," the letter stated. "Microsoft will vigorously defend its intellectual property against infringement." Attached was a photo showing the patented design that was the default desktop from Windows 95 on through XP