Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Slow performance after migrating SSD with 9.4 to Intel NUC

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Trendle

Slow performance after migrating SSD with 9.4 to Intel NUC

#1 Post by Trendle »

Hello,

I just bought a J3455 Intel NUC and plugged in an SSD with Debian 9.4 that I was running on another computer. As a result, Debian is now extremely slow - unpractically slow. It even takes a long time to boot.

This is the 2nd time I'm migrating this particular installation to a different computer. Since the 1st time it had worked without issues, I figured it would work this time as well.

What can I do? Something along the lines of reconfiguring the bootloader or regenerating the kernel, perhaps?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Slow performance after migrating SSD with 9.4 to Intel N

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Trendle wrote:Debian is now extremely slow - unpractically slow.
In what way? Which benchmarks have you run and what were the results?
It even takes a long time to boot.
What does systemd-analyze(1) tell you about that?

How about journalctl(1)?
Since the 1st time it had worked without issues, I figured it would work this time as well
Have you accounted for any non-free firmware that may be required by the new device?
deadbang

Trendle

#3 Post by Trendle »

First of all, thank you for responding. I really appreciate that.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Trendle wrote:Debian is now extremely slow - unpractically slow.
In what way? Which benchmarks have you run and what were the results?
Every action is very sluggish (like it's the opposite of a snappy system). It's not supposed to be performing like this. Seriously, I can't even play 480p video without hiccups, and browsing the internet gives me a headache because it's that slow. I did run Geekbench 4 and the results I saw seemed to be on par with the other results, but I know it's not a very complete benchmark. What other benchmarks should I be running? I'm not very familiar with benchmarks on Linux.

On a side note, I tried Puppy Linux on a USB stick and everything was working fine. I could play up to 1440p video without issues and everything in the system was snappy. This system is supposed to be able to play 4K video, at least on Windows, but the experience with Puppy Linux was miles better than what it currently is with the Debian 9.4 installation.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Trendle wrote:It even takes a long time to boot.
What does systemd-analyze(1) tell you about that?

Code: Select all

Startup finished in 2.055s (kernel) + 12.144s (userspace) = 14.200s
But what takes a long time is the period from when I turn the machine on to when I arrive at the GRUB menu (I timed it and it takes 2 full minutes until the GRUB splash image appears, and another 9 seconds for the menu to fully load).
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:How about journalctl(1)?
I pasted it here: https://pastebin.com/F8MrFea8
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Trendle wrote:Since the 1st time it had worked without issues, I figured it would work this time as well
Have you accounted for any non-free firmware that may be required by the new device?
I don't think any non-free firmware is required, but I may be wrong about that. I flashed the latest BIOS update already, which was released less than a month ago, so I don't know why I would need non-free firmware at the OS level (if I understand how microcode firmware works correctly).

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

You probably need intel-microcode and definitely need firmware-iwlwifi

Search the internet for other reports of installations, I recall a few issues but mostly success. Especially this - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... i-pcs.html

https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?qu ... ge=english
There are even some NUC threads in these forums.

PS. nobody will read your whole journal file. At least filter it for errors with -p3
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Trendle

#5 Post by Trendle »

Ok, after losing the Ethernet connection (only on this computer with Debian) for no apparent reason and failing to manually install intel-microcode, and many failed attempts to try to get into the system (video signal lost + black screen), I finally was able to install intel-microcode. As I suspected, it didn't do anything. I suppose that's because the latest microcode update was already included in the latest BIOS update, which is newer than the microcode one. That would make sense to me, according to what I read online.

I did journalctl -p3 this time:

jun 15 17:42:45 PP0 kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: firmware: failed to load i915/bxt_dmc_ver1_07.bin (-2)
jun 15 17:42:45 PP0 kernel: kvm: disabled by bios
jun 15 17:42:45 PP0 avahi-daemon[438]: chroot.c: open() failed: No such file or directory
jun 15 17:42:46 PP0 kernel: r8169 0000:02:00.0: firmware: failed to load rtl_nic/rtl8168h-2.fw (-2)
jun 15 17:44:36 PP0 pulseaudio[778]: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Is this what's causing my problems? It looks very naughty.

jun 15 17:42:45 PP0 kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: firmware: failed to load i915/bxt_dmc_ver1_07.bin (-2)

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Trendle wrote:

How about `systemd-analyze blame` & `systemd-analyze critical-chain`?

Did you look at the SVG plot?

I linked the man page in the hope that you might actually read it ;)
what takes a long time is the period from when I turn the machine on to when I arrive at the GRUB menu
OK, can we please see the output of

# efibootmgr -v
Have you tried re-installing GRUB to the disk (and re-configuring)?
I don't know why I would need non-free firmware at the OS level
Because you are running Debian GNU/Linux, have you not read the Social Contract?

See also https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

^ The trick here is to navigate to the Debian package page, go the the "Search the contents of packages" section and enter bxt_dmc_ver1_07.bin into the search box — this will then tell you which package contains that file.

tl;dr: install firmware-misc-nonfree.
deadbang

Trendle

#7 Post by Trendle »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I linked the man page in the hope that you might actually read it ;)
Yeah, I know. I've just been a tad extra busy with other stuff and this computer gives me a serious headache in its current state (even simple things like scrolling webpages is very sluggish). It's damn near unusable, really.

It's better that you look at it, though, because I have no idea what normal values are supposed to look like. Personally, I don't see much wrong with the numbers.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Trendle wrote:

How about `systemd-analyze blame` & `systemd-analyze critical-chain`?
systemd-analyze blame

8.683s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
          1.931s dev-sda1.device
          1.649s dev-loop1.device
          1.606s dev-loop0.device
          1.493s dev-loop2.device
          1.258s snapd.autoimport.service
           413ms exim4.service
           373ms ModemManager.service
           355ms accounts-daemon.service
           244ms lm-sensors.service
           237ms pppd-dns.service
           225ms systemd-logind.service
           212ms networking.service
           181ms rtkit-daemon.service
           179ms rsyslog.service
           177ms NetworkManager.service
           171ms systemd-timesyncd.service
           160ms geoclue.service
           153ms keyboard-setup.service
           144ms avahi-daemon.service
           132ms lightdm.service
           128ms snap-core-4650.mount
           121ms systemd-journald.service
           103ms snap-core-4571.mount
            97ms polkit.service
            92ms snap-retroarch-113.mount
            87ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
            79ms upower.service
            79ms speech-dispatcher.service
            74ms colord.service
            67ms binfmt-support.service
            64ms wpa_supplicant.service
            63ms teamviewerd.service
            57ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
            53ms systemd-udevd.service
            48ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
            46ms snapd.socket
            43ms user@114.service
            39ms user@1000.service
            37ms udisks2.service
            34ms systemd-update-utmp.service
            25ms systemd-modules-load.service
            24ms console-setup.service
            19ms systemd-user-sessions.service
            19ms proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount
            18ms hddtemp.service
            16ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
            16ms systemd-remount-fs.service
            14ms dev-hugepages.mount
            13ms dev-mqueue.mount
            11ms systemd-journal-flush.service
            10ms kmod-static-nodes.service
             9ms systemd-random-seed.service
             9ms minissdpd.service
             8ms systemd-sysctl.service
             8ms systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service
             4ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
systemd-analyze critical-chain

graphical.target @10.096s
└─multi-user.target @10.096s
  └─exim4.service @9.682s +413ms
    └─network-online.target @9.677s
      └─NetworkManager-wait-online.service @993ms +8.683s
        └─NetworkManager.service @814ms +177ms
          └─dbus.service @677ms
            └─basic.target @585ms
              └─sockets.target @585ms
                └─snapd.socket @531ms +46ms
                  └─sysinit.target @530ms
                    └─sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount @2.857s +4ms
                      └─systemd-modules-load.service @142ms +25ms
                        └─systemd-journald.socket @140ms
                          └─-.mount @114ms
                            └─system.slice @135ms
                              └─-.slice @114ms
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Did you look at the SVG plot?
I uploaded it here.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Trendle wrote:what takes a long time is the period from when I turn the machine on to when I arrive at the GRUB menu
OK, can we please see the output of

# efibootmgr -v

EFI variables are not supported on this system.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Have you tried re-installing GRUB to the disk (and re-configuring)?
No, I will try that next.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Trendle wrote:I don't know why I would need non-free firmware at the OS level
Because you are running Debian GNU/Linux, have you not read the Social Contract?
I have. I made a conscious decision to install Debian, I'm not a caveman. :roll: What I was referring to is my understanding that if the BIOS already contains the latest microcode firmware (free or not), then intel-microcode is unneeded. That's what I read, anyway.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Trendle wrote:

^ The trick here is to navigate to the Debian package page, go the the "Search the contents of packages" section and enter bxt_dmc_ver1_07.bin into the search box — this will then tell you which package contains that file.

tl;dr: install firmware-misc-nonfree.
I already did that and installed the package that contains the firmware before I had to leave after submitting my last post. The 'failed to load' error disappeared, but it didn't fix anything. The system is still as slow as a snail.

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Do you experience these problems in the "live" environment?

Your video card seems to be a 500-series Intel integrated version, which should perform well as long as the non-free firmware is installed but I suppose you could try the backported kernel & firmware-misc-nonfree packages and see if they support your hardware better.

https://backports.debian.org/

EDIT: oh look, we have a thread about Intel 5500 graphics, perhaps @Hallvor's advice will help:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=675233#p675233
deadbang

Trendle

#9 Post by Trendle »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:EDIT: oh look, we have a thread about Intel 5500 graphics, perhaps @Hallvor's advice will help:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=675233#p675233
That managed to make the whole installation not work anymore. After the GRUB menu, all I get is a white '_' on the top left corner of the screen, and nothing happens.

Anyway, I'm about to give up on this, because I need a working computer besides my crappy laptop. I'm also taking into account that even when it is all working properly the performance will more than likely be sub-par compared to Windows, even with all the backport packages and whatnot. I own an active W7 license, so I will install and use that until support ends in 2020 and then I'll give Debian another go (which I do prefer over Windows - especially W10 :lol: ). Hopefully by then things will be more refined and I won't have to deal with these kinds of total failures.

Thank you both for the help, though. Maybe we'll "meet" again in 2020. :wink:

bw123

#10 Post by bw123 »

I own an active W7 license, so I will install and use that until support ends in 2020 and then I'll give Debian another go (which I do prefer over Windows - especially W10 :lol: ). Hopefully by then things will be more refined and I won't have to deal with these kinds of total failures.
I doubt that installing on one machine and switching the drive to another will be supported well, even in 2020. You should try that with your win7 and see how it does, just for curiosity.

Good Luck.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Trendle

#11 Post by Trendle »

bw123 wrote:I doubt that installing on one machine and switching the drive to another will be supported well, even in 2020. You should try that with your win7 and see how it does, just for curiosity.

Good Luck.
Been there, done that! It works flawlessly if you execute Sysprep before you move the drive. :lol:

bw123

#12 Post by bw123 »

Trendle wrote:
bw123 wrote:I doubt that installing on one machine and switching the drive to another will be supported well, even in 2020. You should try that with your win7 and see how it does, just for curiosity.

Good Luck.
Been there, done that! It works flawlessly if you execute Sysprep before you move the drive. :lol:
How did you prep the debian system for the switch? I'm interested if the delay after post goes away after you do a fresh install of either os. That's kind of strange. 2 min is a long time to find a drive to boot from.

found this searching internet for boot+delay+post
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-275 ... -boot.html
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Trendle

#13 Post by Trendle »

bw123 wrote:
Trendle wrote:

Good Luck.
How did you prep the debian system for the switch? I'm interested if the delay after post goes away after you do a fresh install of either os. That's kind of strange. 2 min is a long time to find a drive to boot from.
I didn't prep it at all. The 2 minute delay seems related to GRUB, imo. I'll install W7 tomorrow on another SSD and I'll let you know.

I'm excited to get this awesome thing called madVR back into my hands already... :twisted: Confession time: I've been a Windows user all my life. :oops:

bw123

#14 Post by bw123 »

Trendle wrote: ...
:twisted: Confession time: I've been a Windows user all my life. :oops:
yes, it shows. Once you do a proper install and stop playing games, I'm sure you'll enjoy debian as much as I do.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Trendle

#15 Post by Trendle »

bw123 wrote:
yes, it shows. Once you do a proper install and stop playing games, I'm sure you'll enjoy debian as much as I do.
It's supposed to work without prepping it. Even installing the non-free firmware it was complaining about didn't do anything, and using the backport packages created a black hole and now the system's done for. That's not me playing games with it, that's it playing games with me and screwing me just because I decided to buy a new computer. :mrgreen:

bw123

#16 Post by bw123 »

Trendle wrote:
bw123 wrote:
It's supposed to work without prepping it. Even installing the non-free firmware it was complaining about didn't do anything, and using the backport packages created a black hole and now the system's done for. That's not me playing games with it, that's it playing games with me and screwing me just because I decided to buy a new computer. :mrgreen:
ah come on, you can't have a grub installation that works fine on one machine, switch it to another and have a two minute delay and not suspect a hardware issue? There are other issues also when swapping a drive, a lot of drivers are in the initramfs, and usually I can't even boot at all when swapping a drive like that.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Trendle

#17 Post by Trendle »

bw123 wrote:ah come on, you can't have a grub installation that works fine on one machine, switch it to another and have a two minute delay and not suspect a hardware issue? There are other issues also when swapping a drive, a lot of drivers are in the initramfs, and usually I can't even boot at all when swapping a drive like that.
Well, whatever it was, there's not much I can do now...

I enjoyed my time with Debian (~2 months), don't get me wrong. It was a nicer experience than I had imagined before making the switch from Windows. If things really are the way you say and the way I've experienced in regards to problems that arise from migrating between different computers, then the Debian developers need to implement a tool like Window's Sysprep asap. That's all there is to say about it, really. :roll:

Head_on_a_Stick

#18 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Trendle wrote:After the GRUB menu, all I get is a white '_' on the top left corner of the screen, and nothing happens.
Did you try a TTY screen?

You seem to be describing a failure of the graphical desktop and the changes could easily be reverted from the console, if needed.
Trendle wrote:I'm about to give up on this
Please at least test a "live" ISO image on your current hardware so that we can confirm misconfiguration as the source of your problems, here is a link to the unofficial images that already include the non-free firmware that your unfortunate choice of hardware requires:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... so-hybrid/

Finally, please note that these boards are a community resource rather than a help desk for your convenience so an attitude adjustment may be in order if your want further assistance in future.

At the moment you are displaying the traits of a Help Vampire and such creatures are not welcome here.
deadbang

kevinthefixer

#19 Post by kevinthefixer »

Y'know, if you wanted an OS that just does it all for you, just stick with Windows. If you'd asked beforehand, someone would have advised you to do a clean install. I did that with my "crappy laptop", and it flat smokes.

Trendle

#20 Post by Trendle »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Trendle wrote:After the GRUB menu, all I get is a white '_' on the top left corner of the screen, and nothing happens.
Did you try a TTY screen?

You seem to be describing a failure of the graphical desktop and the changes could easily be reverted from the console, if needed.
Well, I still have the SSD with Debian 9.4 as it is, so I could try a few things.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Trendle wrote:I'm about to give up on this
Please at least test a "live" ISO image on your current hardware so that we can confirm misconfiguration as the source of your problems, here is a link to the unofficial images that already include the non-free firmware that your unfortunate choice of hardware requires:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... so-hybrid/
I tried Linux Mint 19 live and everything was working fine (except the graphics performance was sub-par compared to Windows). Anyway, I returned the J3455 NUC, because I couldn't even install W7 on it (no EHCI) or Mac OS, and I bought a J4205 motherboard instead, which I'll receive tomorrow. Since the hardware is similar, I'll test the Debian non-free live image there, and also connect the Debian SSD and see what I can do.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Finally, please note that these boards are a community resource rather than a help desk for your convenience so an attitude adjustment may be in order if your want further assistance in future.

At the moment you are displaying the traits of a Help Vampire and such creatures are not welcome here.
Ok, that's fair enough. I'm sorry. It was a frustrating experience for me, but I feel calmer now. :)