Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Slow performance after migrating SSD with 9.4 to Intel NUC

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bw123

Re: Slow performance after migrating SSD with 9.4 to Intel N

#16 Post by bw123 »

Trendle wrote:
bw123 wrote:
Trendle wrote: ...
:twisted: Confession time: I've been a Windows user all my life. :oops:
yes, it shows. Once you do a proper install and stop playing games, I'm sure you'll enjoy debian as much as I do.
It's supposed to work without prepping it. Even installing the non-free firmware it was complaining about didn't do anything, and using the backport packages created a black hole and now the system's done for. That's not me playing games with it, that's it playing games with me and screwing me just because I decided to buy a new computer. :mrgreen:
ah come on, you can't have a grub installation that works fine on one machine, switch it to another and have a two minute delay and not suspect a hardware issue? There are other issues also when swapping a drive, a lot of drivers are in the initramfs, and usually I can't even boot at all when swapping a drive like that.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Trendle

#17 Post by Trendle »

bw123 wrote:ah come on, you can't have a grub installation that works fine on one machine, switch it to another and have a two minute delay and not suspect a hardware issue? There are other issues also when swapping a drive, a lot of drivers are in the initramfs, and usually I can't even boot at all when swapping a drive like that.
Well, whatever it was, there's not much I can do now...

I enjoyed my time with Debian (~2 months), don't get me wrong. It was a nicer experience than I had imagined before making the switch from Windows. If things really are the way you say and the way I've experienced in regards to problems that arise from migrating between different computers, then the Debian developers need to implement a tool like Window's Sysprep asap. That's all there is to say about it, really. :roll:

Head_on_a_Stick

#18 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Trendle wrote:After the GRUB menu, all I get is a white '_' on the top left corner of the screen, and nothing happens.
Did you try a TTY screen?

You seem to be describing a failure of the graphical desktop and the changes could easily be reverted from the console, if needed.
Trendle wrote:I'm about to give up on this
Please at least test a "live" ISO image on your current hardware so that we can confirm misconfiguration as the source of your problems, here is a link to the unofficial images that already include the non-free firmware that your unfortunate choice of hardware requires:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... so-hybrid/

Finally, please note that these boards are a community resource rather than a help desk for your convenience so an attitude adjustment may be in order if your want further assistance in future.

At the moment you are displaying the traits of a Help Vampire and such creatures are not welcome here.
deadbang

kevinthefixer

#19 Post by kevinthefixer »

Y'know, if you wanted an OS that just does it all for you, just stick with Windows. If you'd asked beforehand, someone would have advised you to do a clean install. I did that with my "crappy laptop", and it flat smokes.

Trendle

#20 Post by Trendle »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Trendle wrote:After the GRUB menu, all I get is a white '_' on the top left corner of the screen, and nothing happens.
Did you try a TTY screen?

You seem to be describing a failure of the graphical desktop and the changes could easily be reverted from the console, if needed.
Well, I still have the SSD with Debian 9.4 as it is, so I could try a few things.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Trendle wrote:I'm about to give up on this
Please at least test a "live" ISO image on your current hardware so that we can confirm misconfiguration as the source of your problems, here is a link to the unofficial images that already include the non-free firmware that your unfortunate choice of hardware requires:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... so-hybrid/
I tried Linux Mint 19 live and everything was working fine (except the graphics performance was sub-par compared to Windows). Anyway, I returned the J3455 NUC, because I couldn't even install W7 on it (no EHCI) or Mac OS, and I bought a J4205 motherboard instead, which I'll receive tomorrow. Since the hardware is similar, I'll test the Debian non-free live image there, and also connect the Debian SSD and see what I can do.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Finally, please note that these boards are a community resource rather than a help desk for your convenience so an attitude adjustment may be in order if your want further assistance in future.

At the moment you are displaying the traits of a Help Vampire and such creatures are not welcome here.
Ok, that's fair enough. I'm sorry. It was a frustrating experience for me, but I feel calmer now. :)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#21 Post by sunrat »

As others have advised, you are more likely to succeed by doing a fresh install of the OS and just moving your data over. Copying an OS from one computer to another and expecting it to work is very optimistic.
It's not impossible if the hardware is very similar though. I once swapped a motherboard with a Core2Duo E6400 to another one with an E8500 and it worked with only minor tweaks. That's almost the same hardware.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Trendle

#22 Post by Trendle »

sunrat wrote:As others have advised, you are more likely to succeed by doing a fresh install of the OS and just moving your data over. Copying an OS from one computer to another and expecting it to work is very optimistic.
It's not impossible if the hardware is very similar though. I once swapped a motherboard with a Core2Duo E6400 to another one with an E8500 and it worked with only minor tweaks. That's almost the same hardware.
The 1st time I migrated the installation it worked without tweaking anything from a Z97 i5-5675C to an H81 i3-4150 (ok, they're both 1150, but they're rather different processors). That's why I thought I could do it a 2nd time and get away with it... :roll:

But you're right, I can always do a fresh install.