Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Installing latest Firefox/Thunderbird

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

[SOLVED] Installing latest Firefox/Thunderbird

#1 Post by cds60601 »

Hey all -

Running Stable here and would like to see what other options might be out there for installing newer versions of the above.

From what I can see, I have found 3 options so far:
1. There is a Sourceforge url that was/is designed mainly for Ubuntu but does state that most all apt-driven distros could use it.
2. I found mozilla.debian.net as an option however, you really need to be running at least Testing.
3. Just nabbing the tarball from Mozilla and install that way.

So I suppose one would consider ease of updating to newer versions would be the main thing to look at.
I'm not sold on using the Sourceforge option as I would prefer to keep my repos as native as possible.

Would really appreciate options and ways others might be looking into this.

As always, thanks in advance and cheers!
Chris
Last edited by cds60601 on 2018-06-17 15:32, edited 3 times in total.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Bulkley

Re: Installing latest Firefox/Thunderbird

#2 Post by Bulkley »

From the Mozilla site download the latest Firefox tarball. Don't install it. You should be able to open the tarball and run it in your user space. By doing it this way you get the advantage of a new version without messing your system. I haven't tried this with Thunderbird but I wouldn't be surprised if you can do that too.

bolean

#3 Post by bolean »

Tried both replace ESR with quantum (using symlink) and running both ( extract tarball to /opt/) In both cases quantum works and is much snappier than esr. But there is one problem: If I set quantun as default browser and try to open hyperlinks from other apps i always end up in homepage. If I set ERS as default the hyperlink opens the correct url.
Any tips where to look for a solution?

Forgot: Total Debian newbie running Debian stretch

Found whats wrong.
Trying to separate the different versions I pointed the default browser to firefox ECR and firefox quantum to firefox. Of course the later should point to firefox-bin.
Stupid but easy for a beginner.
Last edited by bolean on 2018-06-16 12:40, edited 2 times in total.

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

bolean wrote:Found whats wrong.
Trying to separate the different versions I pointed the default browser to firefox ECR and firefox quantum to firefox. Of course the later should point to firefox-bin.
Stupid but easy for a beginner.
are you messing around in /usr/bin? you really shouldn't.
and i don't mean because you're a newbie, nobody should.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

The current Thunderbirb 52.8 is available in the Stretch security repository...https://packages.debian.org/stretch/thunderbird It doesn't need the latest rustc to build from source like the current Firefoxes, which prevents those backports.
MX Linux packager and developer

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by cds60601 »

stevepusser wrote:The current Thunderbirb 52.8 is available in the Stretch security repository...https://packages.debian.org/stretch/thunderbird It doesn't need the latest rustc to build from source like the current Firefoxes, which prevents those backports.
Ah - good to know. I just assumed ... and I should have known better. There is so little that can change in T-Bird I suppose that why wouldn't it be current, lol.
I have opted to not use the Ubuntuzilla repo and opted to follow the guide listed in the Debian Firefox Wiki https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox#Firefox ... nd_Nightly for my Firefox needs.

Appreciate the input folks!

Cheers
Chris
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious