Java applet won't execute except with sudo

If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask

Java applet won't execute except with sudo

Postby drfox » 2018-07-09 11:36

I use NeoRouter as a VPN http://www.neorouter.com
They have a bash program which calls a java applet. It runs fine with normal user credentials in Ubuntu, but will only run for the sudo user in Debian.
I have checked my $PATH and the applet's properties and they appear similar in my Ubuntu machine and my Debian machines. I am using stable on one and testing on another, both behave similarly.
Can you tell me how to troubleshoot the problem to get this to work as a normal user in Debian, or is it simply not possible? Is the error "NoClassDefFoundError" in line 2 below something which I need to correct? If so, how?
Below is the message I receive when I try to run the program:
(Thanks is advance)

user@debianmachine:~$ /usr/bin/nrclient.sh
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/misc/BASE64Decoder
at com.neorouter.client.SignInPanel.DecryptPassword(SignInPanel.java:262)
at com.neorouter.client.SignInPanel.Load(SignInPanel.java:172)
at com.neorouter.client.SignInPanel.<init>(SignInPanel.java:111)
at com.neorouter.client.MainFrame.run(MainFrame.java:112)
at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:313)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:770)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.access$600(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:87)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:740)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: sun.misc.BASE64Decoder
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:582)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:190)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:499)
... 18 more
Last edited by drfox on 2018-07-10 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence M. Fox, DVM DABVP
Certified in Canine & Feline Practice
River Grove (Chicago), IL USA
drfox

Re: Bash applet won't execute except with sudo

Postby debiman » 2018-07-10 08:42

fwiw, there's no such thing as "bash applet", your thread title is misleading.
also, are you actually running debian? it would seem to me that this neorouter is a sort of distro. why are you asking here?
as a not-very-strict rule we do not provide support for other distros, you should really ask them (their website has a support section) to help with your problem.

looking at the output you provided:
  • your problem seems very java specific - nothing to do with bash!!!!
  • yes, it seems a permission problem. while using sudo is not always the best/correct solution, i don't see what's wrong with doing just that?
debiman

Re: Bash applet won't execute except with sudo

Postby drfox » 2018-07-10 12:44

debiman wrote:fwiw, there's no such thing as "bash applet", your thread title is misleading.
also, are you actually running debian? it would seem to me that this neorouter is a sort of distro. why are you asking here?
as a not-very-strict rule we do not provide support for other distros, you should really ask them (their website has a support section) to help with your problem.

Thanks for letting me know that I was mistaken calling it a bash applet. I have changed the topic title to java applet. I hope that is correct. I thought it was a bash applet because of its extension: nrclient.SH

Taking me to task for asking for help for "a sort of distro" which is not debian is a bit rude and unhelpful. In less time than it took to type the criticism, you could have followed the link to learn that NeoRouter is a program which may be used with a number of different platforms including linux, windows, mac, android, etc. I have 3 laptops...1 runs debian stable, 1 runs debian testing, and 1 runs the latest ubuntu. Since the applet works in ubuntu without sudo, I have it running as a startup application. I was hoping to do the same with my debian laptops, and that is why I asked for help.
Lawrence M. Fox, DVM DABVP
Certified in Canine & Feline Practice
River Grove (Chicago), IL USA
drfox

Re: Java applet won't execute except with sudo

Postby debiman » 2018-07-11 12:43

you can choose to respond to my (apparently unfounded) criticism - or the other questions (or indirect requests for further clarification) i posed.
your choice.
debiman

Return to General Questions