Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Java applet won't execute except with sudo

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
drfox

Java applet won't execute except with sudo

#1 Post by drfox »

I use NeoRouter as a VPN http://www.neorouter.com
They have a bash program which calls a java applet. It runs fine with normal user credentials in Ubuntu, but will only run for the sudo user in Debian.
I have checked my $PATH and the applet's properties and they appear similar in my Ubuntu machine and my Debian machines. I am using stable on one and testing on another, both behave similarly.
Can you tell me how to troubleshoot the problem to get this to work as a normal user in Debian, or is it simply not possible? Is the error "NoClassDefFoundError" in line 2 below something which I need to correct? If so, how?
Below is the message I receive when I try to run the program:
(Thanks is advance)

user@debianmachine:~$ /usr/bin/nrclient.sh
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/misc/BASE64Decoder
at com.neorouter.client.SignInPanel.DecryptPassword(SignInPanel.java:262)
at com.neorouter.client.SignInPanel.Load(SignInPanel.java:172)
at com.neorouter.client.SignInPanel.<init>(SignInPanel.java:111)
at com.neorouter.client.MainFrame.run(MainFrame.java:112)
at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:313)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:770)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.access$600(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:87)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:740)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: sun.misc.BASE64Decoder
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:582)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:190)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:499)
... 18 more
Last edited by drfox on 2018-07-10 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence M. Fox, DVM DABVP
Certified in Canine & Feline Practice
River Grove (Chicago), IL USA

debiman

Re: Bash applet won't execute except with sudo

#2 Post by debiman »

fwiw, there's no such thing as "bash applet", your thread title is misleading.
also, are you actually running debian? it would seem to me that this neorouter is a sort of distro. why are you asking here?
as a not-very-strict rule we do not provide support for other distros, you should really ask them (their website has a support section) to help with your problem.

looking at the output you provided:
  • your problem seems very java specific - nothing to do with bash!!!!
  • yes, it seems a permission problem. while using sudo is not always the best/correct solution, i don't see what's wrong with doing just that?

drfox

Re: Bash applet won't execute except with sudo

#3 Post by drfox »

debiman wrote:fwiw, there's no such thing as "bash applet", your thread title is misleading.
also, are you actually running debian? it would seem to me that this neorouter is a sort of distro. why are you asking here?
as a not-very-strict rule we do not provide support for other distros, you should really ask them (their website has a support section) to help with your problem.
Thanks for letting me know that I was mistaken calling it a bash applet. I have changed the topic title to java applet. I hope that is correct. I thought it was a bash applet because of its extension: nrclient.SH

Taking me to task for asking for help for "a sort of distro" which is not debian is a bit rude and unhelpful. In less time than it took to type the criticism, you could have followed the link to learn that NeoRouter is a program which may be used with a number of different platforms including linux, windows, mac, android, etc. I have 3 laptops...1 runs debian stable, 1 runs debian testing, and 1 runs the latest ubuntu. Since the applet works in ubuntu without sudo, I have it running as a startup application. I was hoping to do the same with my debian laptops, and that is why I asked for help.
Lawrence M. Fox, DVM DABVP
Certified in Canine & Feline Practice
River Grove (Chicago), IL USA

debiman

Re: Java applet won't execute except with sudo

#4 Post by debiman »

you can choose to respond to my (apparently unfounded) criticism - or the other questions (or indirect requests for further clarification) i posed.
your choice.