Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

packaging: dh_strip unable to recognize format

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ptz

packaging: dh_strip unable to recognize format

#1 Post by ptz »

I am following the instructions in https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging/Intro ... nPackaging to package my code. The code is cross-compiled on an x86 host (Ubuntu 16.04) for an ARM target. The cross-compilation itself is working. When I run

Code: Select all

debuild -us -uc
the entire project is built twice, and at the end of the second build I get:

dh_strip
strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file `debian/[path]/lib64/libfoo.so.2.0.0'
dh_strip: strip --remove-section=.comment --remove-section=.note --strip-unneeded debian/[path]/lib64/libfoo.so.2.0.0 returned exit code 1
The output of

file debian/[path]/lib64/libfoo.so.2.0.0
is (as expected):

ELF 64-bit LSB executable, ARM aarch64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-aarch64.so.1, for GNU/Linux 3.7.0, BuildID[sha1]=6de91f6a51a84aa5109944860152a8d6f3228f65, not stripped
libfoo is one of the libraries that are built in the make process.

What/how to debug?

stevepusser

Re: packaging: dh_strip unable to recognize format

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Which of the techniques here are you trying? https://wiki.debian.org/CrossCompiling

Do any of the others work?

Why does the build process build it twice? That seems to be inelegant if not required.

Hmmm...my pbuilder builds of Pale Moon packages for MX Linux always failed for i386 builds on amd64, so I just now thrashed around and managed to set up sbuild schroot builds that worked. The Ubuntu guide for cross-compiling with sbuild was quite helpful.
MX Linux packager and developer

ptz

Re: packaging: dh_strip unable to recognize format

#3 Post by ptz »

Actually, I didn't look at that page before posting.

Anyway, for now I've taken a step back, trying first to package it natively and learn a few things along the way. Thanks for the link.