Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Custom LiveCD apt-get update waiting for headers

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kovacsadam07

Custom LiveCD apt-get update waiting for headers

#1 Post by kovacsadam07 »

Hi,

I'm trying to create a custom live Debian (for using in PXE environment with remmina as RDP client) following this guide:
https://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/p ... cds-part-i

When I run apt-get update I get "0% [Waiting for headers]". Without apt-get install I can't install remmina nor update packages. Can someone help with this?

Dai_trying

Re: Custom LiveCD apt-get update waiting for headers

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

I haven't tested that particular tutorial but have created custom Live-Cd's in the past using similar methods. One thing I would check is that you have copied the /etc/resolv.conf file over to allow networking (step 7), and like the tutorials say you must have a reliable network connection at the machine you are working on.

EDIT:
And proxies may have an effect on networking too.

kovacsadam07

#3 Post by kovacsadam07 »

I copied the /etc/resolv.conf and I have a reliable network connection. I'm using the same Debian version (9.4) as I try to edit. The installed one can do apt-get update without any problem.

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

I will test the tutorial in a VM and see if I can get it to work, and will post back later with my results.

kovacsadam07

#5 Post by kovacsadam07 »

Dai_trying wrote:I will test the tutorial in a VM and see if I can get it to work, and will post back later with my results.
Thank you! :) I have no idea why does it not work...

Dai_trying

#6 Post by Dai_trying »

I just noticed the tutorial is 10 years old! and I'm pretty sure that will be at least partly the reason it will not work.

I have used a similar and easier (IMO) method to remaster Live-Cd's which is outlined in in this Q4OS forum post Although Q4OS "is not debian" it is pretty close and I have also used this method to successfulyl change a debian live-cd before. it might be worth trying that out and if you get stuck post back.

I will test this using pure debian and modifying the debian Live-Cd just to be sure it still works and will post back any issues.

kovacsadam07

#7 Post by kovacsadam07 »

Dai_trying wrote:I just noticed the tutorial is 10 years old! and I'm pretty sure that will be at least partly the reason it will not work.

I have used a similar and easier (IMO) method to remaster Live-Cd's which is outlined in in this Q4OS forum post Although Q4OS "is not debian" it is pretty close and I have also used this method to successfulyl change a debian live-cd before. it might be worth trying that out and if you get stuck post back.

I will test this using pure debian and modifying the debian Live-Cd just to be sure it still works and will post back any issues.
Thank you, it's working now!
In my method I mounted the filesystem.squashfs and cp -R to an other folder. With unsquashfs it's working.

Thx again!

Dai_trying

#8 Post by Dai_trying »

You are welcome, I just finished testing my method and everything worked without issue and resulted in a Live-Cd that boots on both BIOS and UEFI systems, I will paste my cheat sheet below for anyone who might be interested.

note: I used the image debian-live-9.5.0-amd64-xfce.iso available from the usual repository although you could use any of the live images there.

Part 1

Code: Select all

sudo apt install bsdtar isolinux squashfs-tools syslinux syslinux-utils xorriso
sudo mkdir my_temp_dir
cd my_temp_dir/
sudo bsdtar xfp ~/Downloads/q4os-2.4-x64.r8.iso
sudo unsquashfs -d some_work_dir live/filesystem.squashfs
sudo mount --bind /dev/pts/ some_work_dir/dev/pts/
sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf some_work_dir/etc/
sudo chroot some_work_dir/
chroot# mount -t proc /proc /proc
chroot# mount -t sysfs /sys /sys
chroot# apt update
chroot# apt upgrade
With Part 1 complete you are now in the chroot environment and can add/remove packages on the Live-Cd to suit your preference, once you have finished proceed to part 2.

Part 2

Code: Select all

chroot# exit
sudo umount /home/dai/my_temp_dir/some_work_dir/sys
sudo umount /home/dai/my_temp_dir/some_work_dir/proc
sudo umount /home/dai/my_temp_dir/some_work_dir/dev/pts
sudo rm some_work_dir/etc/resolv.conf
sudo mksquashfs some_work_dir filesystem.squashfs
sudo mv filesystem.squashfs live/filesystem.squashfs
sudo chmod -w live/filesystem.squashfs
sudo mv some_work_dir/ ../
sudo xorriso -as mkisofs -iso-level 3 -full-iso9660-filenames -volid ~/output_file.iso -eltorito-boot isolinux/isolinux.bin -eltorito-catalog isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -isohybrid-mbr isolinux/isohdpfx.bin -eltorito-alt-boot -e boot/grub/efi.img -no-emul-boot -isohybrid-gpt-basdat -output ~/output_file.iso ~/my_temp_dir
The only thing I haven't used/tested is using the created image to perform an install, I would imagine it should work but I have only used this method to create custom images for demonstrating to others, and a personal troubleshooting usb stick for emergencies but with all the software I prefer already installed.

kovacsadam07

#9 Post by kovacsadam07 »

Thank you for your help! :)

Dai_trying

#10 Post by Dai_trying »

You are welcome. :)