Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Boot - Loading initial ramdisk .. then crash

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
GhandiKruu

Boot - Loading initial ramdisk .. then crash

#1 Post by GhandiKruu »

Hi everyone

I have installed Debian stretch 64bit on my HP Elitebook 2170p laptop. I installed it with /, /var, /home, /tmp and /swap as separate partitions. Its encrypted (LUKS?)I did a live USB first to see what would work before installing. Wifi didnt, but used cable instead.

My problem is this. First time I use the laptop for the day, after the Grub menu it will print one or two lines and after "Loading initial ramdisk ... " it halts and the screen graphics becomes unreadable/distorted. I can CTRL + ALT + DEL and restart.

In the Grub menu I press e to see what happens after "Loading initial ramdisk.." and next line is:
init /initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64, I check in /boot to see if it was there and it was. (Sorry I couldnt get the text from Grub onto here following Debian guides, that is for another post)

Anyways the really strange thing is that if I go to BIOS and do a ram error checking and stop it after just 1% done. It will boot no problem!? Which is a good thing but I am completely lost in terms of troubleshooting. Any ideas or pointers would be helpful.

Best regards
Ghandi

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Boot - Loading initial ramdisk .. then crash

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

GhandiKruu wrote:if I go to BIOS and do a ram error checking and stop it after just 1% done. It will boot no problem
If you let the memory test run to completion does it show any errors?
deadbang

GhandiKruu

Re: Boot - Loading initial ramdisk .. then crash

#3 Post by GhandiKruu »

It completes the ram diagnostics without errors. Also it happens every time I restart, not just shutdown unfortunately.

I took pictures but I get errors trying to attach them but after ram diagnostic I get some errors showing before it ask me for the password for the encryption (LVM). It says:

[ 1.861985] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (7) occurred attemting to read a pcr value
[ 1.933997] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (7) occurred attemting to read a pcr value
WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmtad. Falling back to device scanning.
Cannot process volume group unknown-netbook-vg
Please unlock disk sda5_crypt:

Now I didnt noticed this when I wrote my post. But lvmtad is the lvm I created when I tested Debian stretch XFCE before I installed my present Debian strecht Gnome. Really surprised it didnt erase the whole thing, maybe I wash paying attention during installation.