Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

running in software rendering mode

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ryankm

running in software rendering mode

#1 Post by ryankm »

So after the new update I get this....

running in software rendering mode Currently Cinamon is running without accelerating video hardware and, as a result, CPU usage may be more than usual. There may be a problem with your drivers or some elle issue. For the best experience, it is recommended that this mode be used for the purposes of troubleshooting

Well it is true. Before I was watching 4k videos and games. Now a 1080p video is choppy...

Who knows what it is.... I get the same message all the way back to linux kernel 4.15

ryan@RKPM-BP-CLR:~$ cinnamon
Cinnamon warning: Software rendering detected: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 256 bits)
org.Cinnamon already exists on bus and --replace not specified

Is there a cinnamon version I can revert to?

Debian buster/sid
Cinnamon 3.6.7
Linux Kernel 4.17.0-1amd64
Intel Xeon E5 2690 2.9GHz X (8) X 2
Memory 70.7 GiB
Hard Drives 3006.3GB
Nvidia GP107 GeForce GTX 1050 TI
Nvidia Beta Driver 396.18

WORKAROUND

I updated the NVIDIA driver to 396.45, but it is a non dkms module meaning it will not follow the kernel updates.

It works though.

I am still wondering if anybody had any info on this so maybe I wouldn't have to do this ion the future? Probably was the dkms thingy that caused the problem?
Last edited by ryankm on 2018-07-20 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

okeesan9012124

Re: running in software rendering mode

#2 Post by okeesan9012124 »

When I had that issue it took me almost a week before I figured it out. Though I was not using a dedicated graphics card, just the integrated graphics of my cpu. Anyways, what fixed it for me was to update Mesa. Alternatively what worked fine was using Debian Testing (Buster) instead of Stable (Wheezy?). Though, it looks like you are using sid so that last part probably doesn't help.