Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Safe way to edit your DM

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ponasm

Safe way to edit your DM

#1 Post by ponasm »

Hey. I'm trying to change the Gnome Display Manager a bit, and I was wondering if there was a way to do it and test the changes without the risk of damaging my computer.
And also, I wanted to know the correct way to do it. Shall I download the source of the package with apt-get, then build a .deb file and edit it's contents, or are these kind of things done another way?
Ṳ̴̰̮̗͘ͅͅN̡̟̮̬̬̞͚̘̗̲̯̙̻͘Ì̷̧̡͙̪̘̮̬̟̝̝͡Ç̸̬͈̰̣͉͇̥̮̖̖̦͉͡͡ͅÓ̸̱̝̪͚͕͔͍̺̣̟͍̩̫͍͡͠D̨̡̧͕̲̻̝͇̣̘̻̣͔͢͡E̵̯͈̦̫̕̕͟͠4̴̦̙̣̮̦̖͢͟L̴̨͈̫͉̞͚͓̮͔̞͙̟͚͖͜͢͡I͏͜͏̷̣̻̜̘͙̻̘̟̝̥̣̦̣̥̟̙ͅF͏͏̸͉͔̥̲̺̮̟̩͕͍E͏̲̺̜̘̳̮̥̯̺̲̹̩̳̰͍̱͔̀̀

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Safe way to edit your DM

#2 Post by 4D696B65 »

ponasm wrote:I'm trying to change the Gnome Display Manager a bit
describe "a bit"

ponasm

#3 Post by ponasm »

You know, look around, see how it works, and add a few lines to some file. Not much.
Ṳ̴̰̮̗͘ͅͅN̡̟̮̬̬̞͚̘̗̲̯̙̻͘Ì̷̧̡͙̪̘̮̬̟̝̝͡Ç̸̬͈̰̣͉͇̥̮̖̖̦͉͡͡ͅÓ̸̱̝̪͚͕͔͍̺̣̟͍̩̫͍͡͠D̨̡̧͕̲̻̝͇̣̘̻̣͔͢͡E̵̯͈̦̫̕̕͟͠4̴̦̙̣̮̦̖͢͟L̴̨͈̫͉̞͚͓̮͔̞͙̟͚͖͜͢͡I͏͜͏̷̣̻̜̘͙̻̘̟̝̥̣̦̣̥̟̙ͅF͏͏̸͉͔̥̲̺̮̟̩͕͍E͏̲̺̜̘̳̮̥̯̺̲̹̩̳̰͍̱͔̀̀

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Code: Select all

apt-get source gdm3
You need some deb-src lines in your sources.list though.
ponasm wrote:if there was a way to do it and test the changes without the risk of damaging my computer
Backup your computer first :)

Or test the altered package in a virtual machine, I recommend QEMU/KVM.
deadbang

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

Does GDM have a user configuration file?

I don't use it but what I would do is to copy any and all files that I wanted to change and save under my username. Something like gdm.config.pon ; something of the sort. Then, when things go wrong (which they will) you'd have a drop-in replacement.

Do as much as possible using CLI so that your changes are saved and can be seen when you have to do a CLI rescue.

Take notes on a piece of paper.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

i am wondering if op just wants to change some configuration, or actually change the program gdm itself?
unless they specify, there's no clear recommendation to make here.