Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Testing/buster submissions?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
tl5k5

Testing/buster submissions?

#1 Post by tl5k5 »

I'm currently running buster on my XPS 9560.
I upgraded today and I have issues I've never had before.
Where can I submit what I'm seeing?

Thanks!

GarryRicketson

Re: Testing/buster submissions?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

You are using Debian testing, and don't even know where or how to submit a bug report ?
A good place to start: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting
From:https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... ng.en.html
===================
3.1 Which Debian distribution (stable/testing/unstable) is better for me?

The answer is a bit complicated. It really depends on what you intend to do. One solution would be to ask a friend who runs Debian. But that does not mean that you cannot make an independent decision. In fact, you should be able to decide once you complete reading this chapter.

If security or stability are at all important for you: install stable. period. This is the most preferred way.

If you are a new user installing to a desktop machine, start with stable. Some of the software is quite old, but it's the least buggy environment to work in. You can easily switch to the more modern unstable (or testing) once you are a little more confident.

If you are a desktop user with a lot of experience in the operating system and do not mind facing the odd bug now and then, or even full system breakage, use unstable. It has all the latest and greatest software, and bugs are usually fixed swiftly.

If you are running a server, especially one that has strong stability requirements or is exposed to the Internet, install stable. This is by far the strongest and safest choice.

The following questions (hopefully) provide more detail on these choices. After reading this whole FAQ, if you still could not make a decision, stick with the stable distribution.
It is a good idea to read the documentation about any OS, before deciding to install it.
Last, but the answer to your question:
Where to submit a Debian testing bug report
The first 2 results were all you needed to read, :
Search Results

Debian -- Debian BTS - reporting bugs

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting Proxy Highlight

If there is an existing bug report # <number> , you should submit your ... To: submit@bugs.debian.org From: diligent@testing.linux.org Subject: Hello says ...
Debian bug tracking system

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/ Proxy Highlight

1 Jun 2018 ... A separate page has instructions and tips on how to report a bug if you encounter problems in the Debian distribution. ... jessie , stretch , buster , bullseye , sid , experimental , sarge-ignore , etch-ignore , lenny-ignore ... Submit ...
reportbug - Debian Wiki

https://wiki.debian.org/reportbug Proxy Highlight

27 Jun 2018 ... reportbug is a tool designed to make the reporting of bugs in Debian and ... configuration file and send reports using any available mail server.
HowtoUseBTS - Debian Wiki

https://wiki.debian.org/HowtoUseBTS Proxy Highlight

Actually on submitting a bug report you ... by going to http://packages.qa.debian. org/ ...
I hope you include more details in your bug report then you did here.

tl5k5

#3 Post by tl5k5 »

Thanks you.
FYI...I just wanted to know the proper procedure for discussing issues with testing.
If this forum is the 1st place to discuss, it seems not granular enough. All paths are mixed together...but maybe it's just me.
I do not want to jump straight to bug reports as I am using buster, not to test, but to run on newer hardware that stable had issues with.
So yeah...I could search for Debian bug submission...but that was not what I was really asking for.
Sorry if I was unclear.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

If you had looked at the first link I posted :
You would see:
How to use Debian (next-stable) Testing

First thing is to assess the current state of testing. Have a look at the recent topics in the debian-testing mailing list archive and the Status/Testing Wiki-Page. Besides using these specific resources you can also use the general debian-user and debian-devel mailing lists, IRC channels #debian or #debian-next, and of course the debian bug tracker. You may also have a look at the DebianDesktopHowTo.
There is a mailing list, related specifically to debian testing, also the IRC channels.
If this forum is the 1st place to discuss, it seems not granular enough. All paths are mixed together...but maybe it's just me.
Sorry to hear you don't like this forum, I don't know of any other forums.
If you are having a problem or issue with Debian testing , you can post it on this forum, just be sure to include some real details, and also mention that it is
Debian testing, or what ever version of Debian it is.
I would like to suggest reading these, before posting any more:
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
As long as you follow those guidelines, you are welcome to start any topic, including any problem you are having with Debian , testing, stable, SID, etc...
Please Read.. What we expect you have already Done.
There are a lot of threads and topics all ready started on all kinds of issues users have had, and are having with Debian testing,...
I upgraded today and I have issues I've never had before.
Where can I submit what I'm seeing?
Since you have not even given a clue as to what the issues are, How on earth can some one suggest where to submit the problem, or where to post the topic, maybe :
General Questions
If none of the more specific forums is the right place to ask
Unless you are sure it is more specific, IE:System Configuration
Or Desktop & Multimedia, or maybe Hardware,.... I have no idea, because you have not said anything to indicate what theses "issues" are.

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

The answer to your questions is pretty self-evident: you can discuss what you want here, but what you should expect to get from it is questionable. First, this site is not any how officially related to Debian and no Debian developers that I know of visit here (anyone correct me if I am wrong). Second, the chances are somewhat "slim" that some one else is using that same testing snapshot with those same settings (i.e you are the only one who knows the answers to any questions you might have). Third, what is the point in using a yet-to-be collection of packages if you are not even going to "test" them? How does that help? If you need some packages that are not in Debian, then either don't use Debian, or use Debian (i.e the stable release) and add what you need to it. This last, of course, requires that you have any idea or motivation to understand what that even is to begin with.