Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

emergency mode

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
jalisco

emergency mode

#1 Post by jalisco »

I am in an unusual situation, and seem to have come to a standstill.

full history.

Over the course of the past month or so, I was booted periodically into "emergency mode." Usually, i would just enter my root password, and reboot -n, and the system would reboot normally.

I don't power down my system often, but as I dual boot, I will switch operating systems (to windows 8).

Now, my Debian 8 system ONLY goes into emergency mode, and I cannot resolve the issue. I have re-installed the video drivers (since the Nvidia drivers are usually problematic, and I am used to that routine, but this time it's different), and read through (as best I could) the various log files (namely, systemctl, and dmesg), I put them into a txt file, and read them, since usually they scroll by me so fast.

I also noticed that my drive was getting pretty full. I hadn't got a message that it was FULL, but I knew it was down to a 1-2GB of space, so I recently cleared a lot of space off it.

My windows system boots and operating without issue, so I know it's likely not a hardware issue.

I CAN boot into the Debian "Recovery mode" (which doesn't seem that much more advantageous than the emergency mode), and I can also boot into the (Sysvinit) mode, but I am not entirely sure what that is, other than networking and extra peripherals (like another hdd) don't mount/start.

I fear I have allowed my drive to become too full, and thus compromised some system files, somehow.

I already had "in motion" a plan to upgrade my rig anyway, I should receive the hardware (new cpu, ram, mainboard, hdd), within the next hour or tomorrow. Also, I have already backup/moved my data to another location, in advance of the upgrade, so I am pretty "secure" data wise.

Just would like to solve this if possible.

My next step is to try to re-install the "Debian" system again from disk/usb.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggests of what I could/should do next??

I might just make a cup of tea, grab a book, and wait for my new hardware, but would just like to know =)

EDIT: I guess I should add, when i boot into sysvinit mode, that it doesn't restart.

jalisco

Re: emergency mode

#2 Post by jalisco »

Ok figured it out.

I had an "innocuous" hard drive--which I had temporarily added to see what was on it, in an ejectable bay (but still attached)--playing the "bad guy."

Once I disconnected it, randomly, it booted normally.

I won't bother digging into the specifics, since I will soon be blasting this system, as well as the 6+ year old one I had on the other drive.