Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help with installing package and dependencies

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Jondarry

Help with installing package and dependencies

#1 Post by Jondarry »

I want to install gnome-session but that depends on gnome-shell. Gnome-shell has install recommends that I don't want (I do want gnome-shell). So If I install as "apt-get install gnome-session gnome-shell-" then "apt-get install gnome-shell --no-install-recommends" what happens when I upgrade? If I "apt-get upgrade" will gnome-session install all its dependencies including the one I originally omitted?

stevepusser

Re: Help with installing package and dependencies

#2 Post by stevepusser »

You could disable Recommends for all packages by having this line in /etc/apt/apt.conf

Code: Select all

APT::Install-Recommends "0";
but then you will have to remember to --install-recommends for those packages where you want it. I couldn't find a setting that applied it for just one package, but maybe someone else knows one.
MX Linux packager and developer

Jondarry

#3 Post by Jondarry »

That wouldn't be a big deal, because I can just install the recommends individually, then upgrading wouldn't matter. Does setting apt-get to not install recommends apply to dependencies as well? Since gnome-shell is a dependency of gnome-session and I want gnome-shell but not its recommends.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

Jondarry wrote:I want to install gnome-session but that depends on gnome-shell. Gnome-shell has install recommends that I don't want (I do want gnome-shell). So If I install as "apt-get install gnome-session gnome-shell-" then "apt-get install gnome-shell --no-install-recommends" what happens when I upgrade? If I "apt-get upgrade" will gnome-session install all its dependencies including the one I originally omitted?

Code: Select all

$ apt-get -s install gnome-session gnome-shell-
NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
<snip>
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gnome-session : Depends: gnome-shell (>= 3.19) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Look up "stop worrying love metapackages" on the forum here. I don;t use gnome but a lot of people have spent a lot of time trying to fool it or pare it down. Not easy to do from what I have read. You can save time by not repeating the same things they tried before.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

emariz

#5 Post by emariz »

Jondarry wrote:That wouldn't be a big deal, because I can just install the recommends individually, then upgrading wouldn't matter. Does setting apt-get to not install recommends apply to dependencies as well? Since gnome-shell is a dependency of gnome-session and I want gnome-shell but not its recommends.
Then build the dependency chain backwards: install gnome-shell without recommendations first, then install gnome-session, and then mark gnome-shell as 'Automatically installed.'

The thing about skipping recommendations is that it is not simple to tell whether a package will behave 'normally' without them. And this is further accentuated on desktop applications, which rely on recommendations to perform numerous common tasks expected by the end-user.

Building a Gnome system manually from a minimal installation without recommendations requires a lot of auditing. I do it every time, but I had to learn to take detailed notes of system builds, to know which packages enabled certain desired functions.

Aptitude's graphical interface will be your best friend for this.

greymin

#6 Post by greymin »

emariz wrote:
Jondarry wrote:That wouldn't be a big deal, because I can just install the recommends individually, then upgrading wouldn't matter. Does setting apt-get to not install recommends apply to dependencies as well? Since gnome-shell is a dependency of gnome-session and I want gnome-shell but not its recommends.
Then build the dependency chain backwards: install gnome-shell without recommendations first, then install gnome-session, and then mark gnome-shell as 'Automatically installed.'

The thing about skipping recommendations is that it is not simple to tell whether a package will behave 'normally' without them. And this is further accentuated on desktop applications, which rely on recommendations to perform numerous common tasks expected by the end-user.

Building a Gnome system manually from a minimal installation without recommendations requires a lot of auditing. I do it every time, but I had to learn to take detailed notes of system builds, to know which packages enabled certain desired functions.

Aptitude's graphical interface will be your best friend for this.

Thanks! I will remember this steps.